Brothers Mccmullin sound set up?

Trevor McClung

Anyone know of the sound recording equipment used on 16mm features such as Brothers McCmullin or Leaving Las Vegas and such?

Also what you guys use unless it's a secret.

I'd like to know so I could imitate but also so I could hear for myself something that is broadcast on TV.? Any help would be super cool.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Up until the last 10 years or so almost every film of the past 50 years was recording on a Nagra with 1/4" tape. Most films in the 80s & 90s will likely have used a Nagra IV STC.

Any professional sound mixer would have had an array of wireless, omni and shot gun microphones. A shotgun mic with blimp is the most commonly used but there are many occasions to use the other main types of mics.

• Premium Member

It's always good to learn what was done in the past, but in your case you may be better served looking at what DSLR shooters are doing now for sound.

Assuming that you aren't shooting sync, something like a Zoom H4n, decent mics as previously described and proper slating will probably get you where you need to be. Remember to actually say what's on the slate when you slate it so you can find the audio takes easily.

In general you want to get the mic as close and direct as possible without being in the frame. If you can do a lavaliere mic without it being seen in the shot, try that as well. Nothing wrong with multiple mics going to a multichannel recorder...even a laptop. That gives you the most options later. Don't forget to record ambient sound (natural sound without dialog or camera rolling.)

Sound is always the bastard step child one of the most important elements.

• Premium Member

Sound is always the bastard step child one of the most important elements.

Yes, but that's because this is and always has been a visual medium, first and foremost.

As for the question that's being asked, yes...the Nagra 4.2 is what was used for decades. A great piece of equipment which I still prefer over crisp digital sound recorders.

It's always good to learn what was done in the past, but in your case you may be better served looking at what DSLR shooters are doing now for sound.

Why? He hasn't even enumerated what his purposes are or what potential project he may be working on. The equipment used on a given project will always depend on what the story calls for...not the other way around.

1. Thanks! Is there a TV broadcast that's an MKH 416 to Nagra?

Field recorders and mixers are cool as long as I can get the warmth in front of them.

I believe digital is great for editing but I don't like digital cameras. Thanks for the advice though.

To know what the exact chain is would be ideal so I could get the same or similar equipment then A and B compare them to mimic the mix.

What do you guys use in your chain for TV broadcast?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The way I like it is captured on analogue and transferred to digital to avoid generation quality loss. Film and tape have the warmth and organic life that feels right. That's why I asked about Brothers McCmullin because I want that good sound for as low budget as possible. Nagra was used on Jaws and that's the sound for me. Which Nagra I wonder?

Is there any other tape recorders besides the Nagra 4.2 that will give me what I need? Is there a model Nagra that wont work for movie dialogue?

Thanks