100ft Super Technocrane Demo

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

A few weeks ago I was asked to shoot some demo material for Panavision's new 100ft SuperTechnocrane and that material has made it online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bcJXvRrlo

Its a truly remarkable piece of kit as anyone who's used a 50ft techno can imagine. At the moment its the only one in the world and its going to be based out of London for the foreseeable future. Panavision have had it on show at a few events in the UK, like BVE, but they've been demoing it to people outside of that so if you're interested in using it be sure to get in touch with their Grips department and find out when/where theyre going to be showing it next. AFAIK grips will need specific training on it from Panavision Grips so if you're a grip give them a call.

Guest Stephen Murphy

And it costs how many bullion bars per day?

The figure i heard, Incl the additional labour and remote head is ballpark 12K per day

I saw this at the supertechno factory in Pilzn a year or maybe even two ago - impressive stuff - I was playing techodolly at the time though so my time was spent there, I got a cheesy 'tourist' snap of me next the 100' though to show the scale of it to disbelievers. The initial techodolly prototype was interesting also, the idea was that its arm was offset and when retracted could do unbounded 360deg revolutions relative to the column.

We had this odd meaty thing for lunch one day, it had a kind of sour sauce and aerosol whipped cream on top. biggrin.gif

Guest Stephen Murphy

What is the inertia like on that thing! If you do another demo like this, may I suggest doing a split screen with a "bts" camera that shows the position of the arm in synch with the demo footage.

Cheers.

Some of the staff from PV shot a timelapse of the crane being built and the shot itself and there was also someone shooting BTS, so im sure they'll appear online at some point.