Color Space and Aquisition

Sean Elder

Sorry for not putting topic tags, but another question just popped into my head. With this cameras native color space set to 4:2:2 at 50Mbps recording is it then possible to record via a Ki Pro or Ki Pro mini to get the full 4:4:4 color space?

• Premium Member

Sorry for not putting topic tags, but another question just popped into my head. With this cameras native color space set to 4:2:2 at 50Mbps recording is it then possible to record via a Ki Pro or Ki Pro mini to get the full 4:4:4 color space?

What camera? What connection/cable comes out of it? Most can only carry 4:2:2; you need dual-link HD-SDI or a single 3G-SDI for 10-bit 1080P 4:4:4. Though I think the cable/connection limitation is bandwidth, not 4:2:2 versus 4:4:4 -- HDMI could carry 4:4:4 if it were low enough in data, such as an 8-bit signal might be.

What camera?

My apologies, I'm asking this question in regards to the EOS C300. I think that the output is 8-bit single link??? (please advise me if I am mistaken) from the HDSDI spigot on the camera. I am totally unsure about the HDMI signal.

• Premium Member

Another question along with my previous. Is this camera capable of out-putting 4:4:4, or would an external device be necessary?

You may want to read this:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2012/03/28/using-the-c300-with-the-aja-ki-pro-mini/

My impression is that the HD-SDI and HDMI outputs on the C300 only send out 8-bit 4:2:2 at 59.94i (so 3:2 pulldown with 24P material.)