Bolex H16 Reflex

Richard Ian

Hi,

I'm Ric - new here. I have been getting used to an H16 Reflex for about 18 months now. A year ago I noticed one or perhaps several faint marks on a contrasty shot of the sky, then dismissed this as a blip.

Odd mark/s on film

But recently I have noticed a faint mark which has reappeared in exactly the same place. I contacted the seller-refurbisher who said that the marks were too faint for him to identify - not very helpful - still he suggested I check the film with a loup which I did (to what end though I am unsure) and the prism.

Eventually I identified the prism which is like a little window in the front of the camera, in fact it is a little glassy door which flips outwards. At first I could see nothing untoward, maybe a speck of dust, then some linear marks, surface scratches which of course shouldn't be there - but then on tilting the camera to the reading lamp I saw this

Marks on prism

I sent this picture to the seller & received no response whatsoever.

Any clues please? Can a prism be cleaned? Can I get a replacement prism?

Many thanks,

Ric

Well, there it is ... You've found it - is it on the front or rear of the prism ? (possibly in it also). If you cant see it in the finder then its on the rear surface only.

The prism is just another piece of glass in front of your film - treat it like you would a lens so if that means going for gold with cleaners and so on then do it, you've got nothing to lose ;) If it's on the actual silvered surface internal to the prism then you're kinda screwed sad.gif

Clean and newish prisms can be found on damaged/waterlogged and otherwise damaged Boli on ebay - if I recall correctly, swapping them out isn't the most trivial of procedures.

Thanks to all. I was at length advised that what I could see was probably 'dust' and that I should dust it away. There was dust, and several specks under the prism, but the worst stuff wasn't dust and you could only make it out by holding a light at an angle to the front of the prism. Anyway, under a magnifying glass I carefully worked these misty dots with some pure alcohol then lightly dusted again with lens paper. I used an adapted mini vacuum as well with a tiny nozzle to remove any dust particles that could be safely picked up with it. I scrutinised the prism afterwards and the cleaning seems to have done the trick. Of course I won't breathe easily until I have put another reel of film through the Bolex. It is a vintage camera - there are one or two tiny surface scratches on the top of the prism but they don't seem to affect the camera. I was wondering what could cause these - Bolex filter trays?

Bests,

Ric