Listing of magazine cameras from the 50's and 60's

Bill Munns

I'm trying to compile a list of the common and popular 16mm magazine type cameras of the 50's and 60's.

These are the ones I've identified so far:

Kodak

Cine

Cine Royal

(I'm excluding the model B and model K as they seem to date back to the 30's or so)

Keystone

K-50 single lens

K-50 twin turret (clockwork) set-up

K-56 twin lens (but the un-used lens has a weird sort of viewing glass pointing straight up)

Three lens turret model, not sure of the model number

Revere

Model 16, with kind of Arte deco brown swirl on the sides, single lens

I think there are multi-lens variations, not sure.

Bell & Howell

Model 200, with 20mm lens and exposure setting helper on the face

Model 200, but no exposure helper on the face

Model 200 twin lens turret

Model 200 with three lens turret

Model 200 EE has electronic eye light sensor on front, single lens

DeVry?

Any others that anybody knows about to add to the list, for cameras readily available in America at the time (so no Keiv types which look like B&H knock-offs)

If I'm missing any makes or models, I would appreciate any contributions to this list.

Thanks,

Bill

• Premium Member

Oh, now I see what you mean with magazine. It’s rather cassette or cartridge. In my understanding a magazine is a self-contained unit that can be opened, closed, and loaded with film on cores or spools without tools. A 50-ft. cassette is not designed to be opened and charged by the user. Nevertheless, go on with your compilation.

• Premium Member

I think you've pretty much covered the manufacturers of 16mm magazine cameras from that era, as far as I know Kodak only had a couple of Magazine Cine-Kodak models from before 1950 and then the Royal after that, Bell and Howell made magazine load Filmos (121, 141) and GSAP cameras before 1945 and the various 200 models post-war, Keystone also had a K-55 magazine camera from 1950, Revere made a few (models 19, 29, 38 maybe more). Fairchild I think also made some GSAP cameras during the war. I don't think DeVry ever entered the magazine camera market.

If you're really keen you can trawl through this fairly comprehensive list of old movie cameras:

http://wichm.home.xs4all.nl/cinelist.html

Several German camera makers had their own 16mm cartridge-load designs, including Zeiss Ikon, Agfa, and Siemens, but all pre-war. If you're interested in the widescreen possibilities of magazine cameras (based on your earlier post), the 16mm Siemens models have the widest exposure footprint of any I've come across, extending almost the full width of the film. The 50' Siemens cartridges are also easier to reload than the Kodak ones, but not as easy to find.