2012 Cinematography Reel

Updated my reel recently and I would really like to know what others think of it. I can never really judge my own work, I always see all the little imperfections, so it would be nice to see someone with fresh eyes opinion of it. Are the shots solid enough? composition, lighting, color correction, etc? I've approached a couple local production companies as well as some bigger ones (never expected to hear anything from them, but why not swing for the fence) about working with them, but to my dismay I haven't heard a peep out of any of them. Am I missing something in my reel? Am I not up to that level yet? I didn't expect to be hired right off the bat and be shooting the next apple commercial or anything, but some sort of acknowledgment of my existence would be nice. Even a nice "hey, got your reel now go f#!k yourself" would be acceptable at this point. Thank you to who ever takes the time to reply!

https://vimeo.com/38294780

I felt like things were really quick. I know the whole ADD culture and all and fast cuts are good or whatever, but, I didn't get enough time to take some of them in. Timelapses seemed like they were at a good pace, but nothing to write home about I thought.

The first shot with the fuzzy dude on the dock was insanely quick. Almost like it was a mistake left in on a lower track and two clips didn't meet up and it wasn't caught.

And I didn't feel like I picked up on any central idea of it. Or...not sure how to word it. It felt kinda over the board.

No one's saying anything maybe because there's nothing to say about it.

When I was first looking at the RED cameras a while ago, they put out this reel that I still watch over and over. The shots were awesome. I'm sure you could shoot some of it with other cameras, but there was something about the shots that I loved so much that I wanted to duplicate (so I figured I needed to have a RED).

Wow the crap out of people.

Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it! Jon i definitely agree with you about developing my eye I always subconsciously had that thought in the back of my head. It was really refreshing to get some honest opinions, and not have a bunch of people blow smoke up my ass. Guess I have to just shoot, shoot, shoot and work on that!

Edited by SheaFlynn

The first shot with the fuzzy dude on the dock was insanely quick. Almost like it was a mistake left in on a lower track and two clips didn't meet up and it wasn't caught.

Yes and it's a different beat to the others, so maybe it shouldn't cut there or something else should happen.

OTOH your use of slow-mo to the farting bass noises later is great and if you have more in that ilk maybe you could cut more to that noise like that.

I like the way you have cut to the music, so it's a shame that pink fuzzy guy and the following edit seem off the beat almost, esp as it's the top of your reel.

Wow the crap out of people.

YES!

"Am I not up to that level yet?"

I like that your reel is 50 seconds, and nothing seemed too quick, but, I'd politely say you need to develop your eye a little more.

Yup!

erm, what's with the roof of the building at 0.35??!!

That's a definite ditch.

Okay I just watched it again and the end of your reel is way better than the start!

What's that about!??!

Best stuff up front. People can hit that close button real fast and you know the saying, first impressions last, even in 50 seconds.

The shot at 0.23 is genius editing, it's a pity this isn't an editing/colour grade reel but everything helps you make a good impression. Keep this!

Lots of centre framing which is not helped by the fact that even the titles are centred. Do you have any other shots that are less centre?

I reckon your best shot is the guy with cigarette at 0.42/0.43 can you get that right up the start somewhere?

Whats with the lines at the top of the shot of the green fountain and trees at about 0.10. Poor framing but surely you can easily crop this out. I notice the shots either side are more letterboxed anyway! So maybe you can just letterbox this a little to compensate.

The opening shot is okay but the second shot of the misty building should be way down your reel. I think.

Basically the entire start of your reel is a bit rubbish. That timelapse of the sunset should be way down the reel. Maybe it should replace that er, shot at 0.35 that you just put in there to see if we were really watching. Maybe the guys eating should be even further up front. Not sure. You just need to make sure the first 20 seconds is wow! The guys eating is some of your better stuff. Not as good as guy with cig tho.

The good news is that you can now go away and shoot some amazing stuff and just slide it in at the start of your reel and the second half of your reel is already sorted. ;)

Oh and that band with the fake film look effect. Lose that as soon as you shoot something better.

love

Freya