camera test

Giray Izcan

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yJqMfY6tx0M

I shot this using eclair npr on a manfrotto 501 so pans and tilts are not smooth at all. Do you think that the lens is sharp for an angenieux 12-120 f/2.2? Thanks.

Also, I did the color grading and the sound myself, so they are propbably not up to par. It was intended to be a camera scratch test, not really planned or anything. I used cheap walmart lights. Thanks.

• Premium Member

The last shot seemed to have critical focus whereas the others appeared soft. Considering it is an Angenieux 12-120 (which I've used) it looked pretty decent. Just make sure you have enough light when shooting. It looks horrible when you shoot wide open.

Bill,

I know I was surprised too. What do you think about my shots in general? Composition, exposure and lighting.. I had some technical issues like Manfrotto 501 is defintiely not sufficient for NPR, which is why shots are kinda jerky. And obviously financial difficulty, im in the Marine Corps (military wages aren't that high haha),getting out in 5 months. I don't use camera assistants, because I cannot afford it. I wanna become a dp, but i dont know if it is even possible. If you check out "surferlevent" on youtube, I have several other videos posted. Thanks for commenting.

• Premium Member

Bill,

I know I was surprised too. What do you think about my shots in general? Composition, exposure and lighting..

The best shot - for lighting, exposure and composition - is by far the last. But overall, decent compositions. Keep watching more films. I can't tell you how important shot composition is to a film. Also, you had a lot of light in the last two shots. I know you have basically no budget, but when you do in the future, that kind of over-lighting can be easily cut down with silks, flags, scrims, etc.

Bill,

Thanks for your advice. At first, I was going to use my soft box in a directional mannet to get that contrast, but then, decided to use my walmart "beauty dish" instead. I wanted to create harsh sunlight hitting her face effecr, but a half cto would have been prettty useful to create the warmth and yellowness of actual late afternoon sunlight.