Cut Scenes: Do you credit actors cut out of film?

Adam Cluck

Hi,

I've had to cut out a few scenes out of my movie. Consequently, some of the actors who appear exclusively in those scenes won't be in the finished film.

What is the general protocol in these situations? Do you put them in the credits? If so, under what category? I was thinking about putting them in the "Special Thanks To" section, or perhaps I should just leave them out altogether.

Also, do you credit your extras?

Many thanks for any input!

I'm also wondering if I'm under any obligation to let the cut actors know that they won't appear in the film, and whether or not it's appropriate to invite them to the eventual screening.

Thanks again for any input.

That's actually a good question. I myself have never quite figured that out. I'd certainly put them at least in the Special Thanks list, or maybe with the extras in "Also Featured" (even though they're not :D )

You have no obligation to consult with them, I mean what are they going to do - say "No, you have to include me or I'm suing!"? Just say "I really loved your performance, but the scene was running too long and I had to cut it because of that. I'm so sorry, and I'll give you a tape of your footage. I've given you credit in the Special Thanks (or wherever) and I'll gladly give you a reference if you need one."

I'd certainly invite them to the final screening. They may not come but they'll appreciate the gesture.

- G.

I've always left them in the credits, but it is really uncomfortable to have to tell them they've been cut.

Some people take it well, some don't!

It's been my experience, that they don't want to come to any premiers, parties, etc., because it's kinda embarassing for them, and even more so for you, when everyone's going "hey, what happened to your scenes?" and they all sort of look over to you out of the corner of their eyes, and you feel like you've ruined this person's career, especially when some of these people really worked hard for your film.

Matt Pacini

I like Mr. Mullens answer.

Unless it?s in the contract that they get screen credit, there are no ?rules?. Rather than keep the actors in the dark, it seems the professional (and polite) thing to do is to call them up personally, explain the situation and ask them what they would prefer.

Is there any reason why you wouldn?t want to give them a call?

• Premium Member

The assistant editor is supposed to make a list of actors who end up cut out of the show. IIRC, the rule is that you have to cut them out of the credits, and if you screw up and don't, then they get paid residuals. Check with SAG, as that's just my memory from a couple contracts ago.

-- J.S.