Canon 310xl

Guest Christopher Heston

Guest Christopher Heston

Hi, I currently own a Canon 310xl and I was thinking of upgrading to a canon 814 or 1014. As far as I know Canon made some really good super 8 cameras, but what I don't know are the image quality differences between the 310 and the higher models.

I know the higher models offer more options, like 24fps, slow motion, backwind, etc. However, what I'd like to know is how the image quality of their cameras differs between models.

For example, how would a tri-x or plus x, or kodachrome 40 look shot on a canon 310xl compared to the 1014?

-Chris

• Premium Member

The biggest difference Christopher is that the 310XL only has a 3-1 zoom, whereas the 814 and the 1014 have 8-1 and 10-1 zooms. If you already have a 310 and don't feel you need any additional zoom, then you probably don't need to upgrade. I don't know if the 310 has manual exposure capability , and that is a must for any serious cinematographer.

Guest Christopher Heston
The biggest difference Christopher is that  the 310XL only has a 3-1 zoom, whereas the 814 and the 1014 have 8-1 and 10-1 zooms.    If you already have a 310 and don't feel you need any additional zoom,  then you probably don't need to upgrade.  I don't know if the 310 has manual exposure capability , and that is a must for any serious cinematographer.

Yes, it does have manual exposure. If you are interested, I can either try to post some test footage from the camera or e-mail you it. I've shot a roll of plu-x, tri-x, and kodacrome 40.

Do you have any test footage from the higher end canons? Do you have any footage that you'd be willing to share?

-Chris

Guest Ian Marks

I think the biggest drawback with the 310XL, and it's a problem that afflicts many otherwise nice Super-8 cameras, is the lack of a 24 fps shooting speed. It seems that around the time that low-light shutters and magnetic sound came into vogue, a lot of manufacturers dropped the 24 fps setting (and slo-mo, for that matter) for all but their top of the line cameras (I guess it was a way to get a little more light to the film).

Canon really "dumbed down" their Super-8 line with the XL series by omitting a 24 fps setting, but they redeemed themselves with the XL-S series by restoring it. For my money the pre-XL Canons were some of the nicest (518SV, 814 Electronic and 1014 Electronic) Super 8's ever.

• Premium Member
Yes, it does have manual exposure.  If you are interested, I can either try to post some test footage from the camera or e-mail you it.  I've shot a roll of plu-x, tri-x, and kodacrome 40.

Do you have any test footage from the higher end canons?  Do you have any footage that you'd be willing to share?

-Chris

I'm not a big fan of internet movies because the compression completely ruins the true dynamic range of the imagery. I was sitting next to an avid editor and it was fascinating hearing him complain about "Sorenson compression" (which I thought was a joke when I first saw an image that used this compression because it was obvious it was crushing lower end black detail) and burning DVD's on the main computer...

The most cost effective way to share imagery that is to be analyzed is by DVD snail mail.