DIrectors Viewfinder

So I've been looking around for a workable directors viewfinder because I'm sick of renting one every time I get a job. I already own the typical alan gordon mark V, and I don't mind it, but it really just doesn't cut the mustard when compared to the real PL mounted finders. I like seeing how the lenses react to real light sources and having a bigger image with true focus/DOF is pretty incredible.

So my question is, first off -- why the heck are these things so expensive? I've begun looking around; There is an unbranded one on ebay right now trying to sell for 4000 dollars. Alternatively the denz finder with the fancy wooden handle for sale on the ASC website is listed at 6800 dollars WITHOUT a ground glass?!?!?! Thats basically how much I paid for my 435. Insane. The list goes on. I'm finding that the average price seems to be around 2-3k.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find one for cheaper?

Lastly, I've been looking into the fries finder for sale at the "DOP Shop" online which says that "Inside the finder is a set of registration pins to hold a film clip". Does anybody know what this means?

Thanks and sorry for the rambling list of questions, frustratedly yours,

Evan

Lastly, I've been looking into the fries finder for sale at the "DOP Shop" online which says that "Inside the finder is a set of registration pins to hold a film clip". Does anybody know what this means?

As a reference for a composite?

I'm guessing that you would have a single frame of a shot of a matte painting in the finder so you could line up the action thhrough it.

Edited by Mark Dunn