anther young DP asking for feedback

Hi,

I am have been following this forum constantly for the last year and learned a lot from it. My reel just got  on line and I just want to get some feedback.

http://www.demoreelnetwork.com/demianbarba/

Thanks in advance.

Dude you kick major ass. I can wait to see you work on 35mm.

Let me ask you some advise.

wirte me at bluemunlight@gmail.com

Nice work. I like the first thing on the reel...reminds me of Mark Romanek's early work.

The only critique of it I have is it's length. Other than that, good job...nice lighting.

thanks for the feedback.

i agree, it feels a bit long. and i'll have to add to more projects soon.

what lenght you'll recommend? it is around 7 min and a half now.

I just want to get some feedback.

You have enough good stuff in there to make a good reel. Ther are some sections which should be removed entirely - they have too much of a student film quality - there's even a section that has something flapping in the upper left corner - a camera problem - not something you want on your reel.

The first thing on the reel looks great - especially if you want music video work. It is by far the best and what you should focus on. I am not sure you need to segment them out so much - but it would be nice to see some more single scene coverage moments - as in how you lit the entire scene - not just a shot (I know the last one does this). That is if you are looking for feature work. If you're looking for spot work, then that is not as important.

Some of the scenes seem like they might need some color correction to enhance the production value a little - as they are - they are getting that student film smushy look sometimes. I wish I had a better word for it... muddy might be another word.

I think if you cut about half the stuff out, it would end up being pretty strong and lose nothing.

Hope that helps. Just my two cents.

I agree with Eric. There is some studenty looking stuff in there that you could cut out.

I really liked the macro shots in the beginning of your reel. The lighting was great for the most part. Personally, I'd chop that thing down to half and put in music that'll keep someone's attention.

Great job.

• 3 weeks later...

Your reel is beautiful. The work is very atmospheric and I think the music helps to set the mood. I can't give you any advice, since I'm a student, about how you could get commercial work, but artistically speaking, the surrealistic pieces at the beginning and middle are really evocative. I like the narrative ones as well, they pique my curiosity. If you have a mailing list I would like to be added to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good work on the Reel, start is great, excellent lighting and camera. The audio throughout is the one main problem. It works for the first part but then becomes slightly irritating to the ears. Bit shorter maybe and not so split into segmants. Besides that, great work loved it and hope to see more.

James.