5 lenses for a starting DP

Hello All,

I'm trying to build my cinematographers arsenal, and I'm looking to purchase 5 lenses a cinematographer should have at the ready. I'm shooting with a cannon 5 mark lll, and looking to purchase a red scarlet or the cannon 300c. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

Good cine glass is thousands of dollars per lens. . . it is best to rent a lens set which works best for your given shoot.

Your best bet in terms of investment would be something like compact primes with IMS mounts (changeable between Canon and PL) and really would be your only cheap option for cine quality work, good build construction, and the ability to be put on a 5D.

Good cine glass is thousands of dollars per lens. . . it is best to rent a lens set which works best for your given shoot.

Your best bet in terms of investment would be something like compact primes with IMS mounts (changeable between Canon and PL) and really would be your only cheap option for cine quality work, good build construction, and the ability to be put on a 5D.

Thank you so much for the information !

I'd second the CP.2s. Good glass for the money. Better than still lenses. You could pick up a kit for <30k I think. And that's 7 lenses. Abel Cine lets you pick which lengths you want too.

I have CP.2s in PL mount, but just so that I can easily adapt them to the FS100, and then I can easily start putting it on other cameras instead of having to switch the mounts. If you are going to stay in the 5D/Scarlet/C300 range, you could just keep them all Canon mounts and get the CP.2s in that, but then you won't be able to go to a PL camera as easy.

I think there are ways you can adapt the 5D to PL? I know I've seen it done on 7Ds before.

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure to adapt the canons to PL, you have to hack the front off of it.

However, I am also pretty sure you can change out the mounts on the CP.2, not in the field, but it can be done.

Also since both the Scarlet and the C300 come in a canon mount variety, might as well stick to that. You can always re-mount the CP.2s later if you need to for PL-- or at least that was my understanding.

Would also look into the Tonika 11mm Zoom from Duclos Lenses which is quite wide.

I'm pretty sure to adapt the canons to PL, you have to hack the front off of it.

So?

haha

And yeah, I watched a video of the mount switching, and you have to pull it off, switch it out, use the correct shims, check focus, etc etc. I decided just going with PL off the bat was worth saving the $300 or whatever it was for the mount kit per lens. Downside, I can't use it for my Nikon DSLR, but I figured if down the line I somehow fall into a set of really nice glass, I can then invest into switching the CP.2s to Nikon.