Have the passion, have the ambition. Now what?

Hey guys, absolute newbie here. In fact, not even a newbie, I haven't started anything in cinematography yet! Just a year 11 student spending the last year of high school and having anxiety attacks about the future. I would like to know, if possible FROM SCRATCH, what is out there in cinematography for a boy who has dreams of being a director and also a little of an all rounder(being both good in cinematography and directing). What is out there to expect? Because I know for a fact the dream isn't enough if I have no idea at all what I will be dealing with in order to achieve it. So thanks a lot for your incoming advice. :)

• Premium Member

A lot of hard work, low pay, quizzical looks from other people, some suffering, and a healthy bit of doubt. But given time, determination, basic skill (i think you need to have an intrinsic way of seeing/thinking) and the right luck you can make it.

It can take years (normally) and you will eventually have to sit back and look at what you're doing and ask if it's worth it. For most it is, I'd say. For some it isn't.

If you have any ideas of glamor, forget them, it's not as glamorous as you'd think. It's sweat, blood, bruises, and sore feet. But when you do move someone, it's worth every moment of it.

Start looking, seeing, the world around you. How people are, how light is. What they do. Learn the technical things, look to previous works, and figure out how you would do things.

Good luck, and welcome.

Quizzical looks and sore feet - AGREE.

Pretty wise words from Adrian - try searching for the word 'newbie' and likewise in these forums - you'll find your query turns up about fortnightly here. Lots of previous talk to read over and a further hint at what you're up against.

Most people just ignore it and head right in anyway so it's all moot in retrospect.

I'll put it this way: you're among kindred spirits ;)