Restoring/repairing broken or cracked plastic on camera body

Zach Von Joo

Hi All--

Recently, the handle came apart on a Bauer C2A I usually use (the plastic around the screws holding the handle on crumbled apart). My Nautica has stress-cracks in the handle, I feel like it's going to break soon.

I would like to fix these cameras myself if possible.

Any tips on repair and/or reinforcement very much appreciated.

Thank you!

I had a Bauer c royal while fell apart at the plastic handle, the only fix for me was tightly bound electrical tape with added pressure over the battery terminals. These cameras are getting on and in my experience the Plastic was a bit brittle

• 11 months later...

[ sorry, I know this is dredging up an old topic, but I think this problem afflicts many owners of the Bauer "C" line of cameras from the late 60's - early 70's , so this information will continue to be relevant . The Bauer C cameras like C2A , C2B are very nice cameras , but they do have this terrible design flaw in the battery compartment lid. ]

I had a Bauer c royal while fell apart at the plastic handle, the only fix for me was tightly bound electrical tape with added pressure over the battery terminals. These cameras are getting on and in my experience the Plastic was a bit brittle

I just read about a good fix for the Bauer battery compartment problem on the filmshooting forum.

"Mercyboy" wrote:

'Wrap the hand grip with the soft side of a heavy duty velcro sheet, then use a strip of the hook side to wrap over the battery compartment lid and attach to each side of the hand grip. Totally light, easy to hold, works great and gives you instant access to the batts.

If you can't get the battery lid pushed in far enough with this method (that lid needs a lot of pressure pushing up against the batteries , which is why the plastic around it always cracks), just stuff a little wedge/pad of something between it and the velcro hook strip.'

I have an otherwise perfectly functional Bauer C2A which has this exact problem (the screw on the battery compartment lid snapped off) . While I'm on the lookout for a cheap (not more than $5.00) "as-is , for parts only" C2A with the battery door intact on eBay or at a thrift store I am going to try this velcro strap solution.

Well, this may be of interest to other Bauer camera owners with broken or lost battery caps:

http://www.cine-super8.net/index.php?pg=produits&prod=Pi%E8ces+Bauer-Nizo

This French Super 8 website (run by a Mr. André Egido ) lists

Bouchon de poignée de piles pour les caméras BAUER anciennes muettes de la série C1, C2, C2A, C2M, D1,D2, D2A, D2M

(translated: Battery cap for the old silent Bauer cameras of the series C1, C2, C2A, C2M, D1,D2, D2A, D2M )

for 9.00 € . Battery caps are also listed for other Bauer series of cameras.

Edited by David Nethery