Side by Side - The movie (Can film survive our digital future?)

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/sidebyside/

Looks kinda interesting, anybody seen it?

Kinda disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any DP's opinions and all seems director orientated - still looks good either way though.

Yeah I saw it in our NZ Film Festival recently. There were plenty of DOP's in it, big names and not so big, as well as a raft of directors...

Personally I found it only averagely interesting. I think I've read and seen more interesting and in depth stuff about the subject on the internet.

I think you can learn more from watching the latest Zacuto shoot outs

• Premium Member

Yeah, I just watched it on demand and it's alright, but certainly nothing new to anyone that's shot with these cameras. I was a little surprised at the 94% rating on rotten tomatoes as a doc, because it didn't feel much of a documentarty, but more of qualified industry professionals stating their opinions. Not to mention, it didn't look particularly good, considering it was simply just a bunch of interviews.

Although as a film luver, the film hang-er-ons felt outdated when simply comparing quality vs. hassel.

• Premium Member

Although as a film luver, the film hang-er-ons felt outdated when simply comparing quality vs. hassel.

Soderbergh and Fincher were the ones that annoyed me the most. I fully understand their arguments with regard to some of the image quality that digital has attained. However, their complaints with regard to working on film sounded like whiney little kids who'd been beaten up on the schoolyard: "Now we didn't have to carry mags all through the mountains!" "You mean I can't play anything back on set?!" Cheap reasons to completely switch formats, in my opinion.

Then we have George Lucas. Of course, I expect idiotic comments like "Film looks horrible in the theater!" from him.

What got me most was the fact that all these guys grew up with movies shot on film, started their careers working on it and they didn't show the slightest bit of reverence for its history or what it has been capable of for over a century.