can anyone tell me how the lighting in this scene was done?

Hi, doing a project for school where I basically have to talk to the camera.. I was wondering if you can tell me how the lighting for this monologue was done (where he's talking to the camera) and what lights he used? Thanks!

Edited by guru gobind

To the left is a window with the shutters drawn, a small amount of light is providing fill.

But the main light is slightly off center and to the right. The light is a RING LIGHT (you can tell by the reflection in his glasses). He's also against a plan white wall or background.

Like this:

a1_banner.jpg

And that's it I think. Hope that helped.

Edited by Olliehm

Thank you! I suppose I can buy these lights at a hardware store then, I've seen them there.

Do you know how he got that golden brown background?

Looks like a ceiling fixture in on overhead giving the orange toplight, a ring light to his left and a window closed down to his right. He is young and takes light well.

Looks like he's standing in front of a white cyc or backdrop. There is a large soft source to camera right which is 3/4 frontal and slightly above his eyeline. On camera left there is another soft source providing fill from a side or 3/4 kicker position. I don't see any ring light reflection in his glasses, just the catchlight in his eye. The warm tint to the backdrop is most likely a post production thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Stuart - I don't see any reflection of a ring light in his glasses. Also, a ring light would provide even illumination across his face. His face is not evenly lit. The key light is definitely a soft source on camera right. It could be light through diffusion material or a softbox - or bounced off foam core or bead board. Open face lights would be the most efficient to use. The position is just slightly frontal of 90 degrees side light. If it was more frontal, it would reflect more often in his wide glasses. There may possibly be some slight soft fill on the camera left side. However, the soft "edge" light on the actor's camera left cheek is bounce light coming off the white cyc background. The light hitting the background is so bright that it clips in the center area of the beam. Sepia color tone is likely added in post since it is selective and not overall.