Ghosting/Flare/Focus

MarkHarris

I posted this on dvxuser with a lot of feedback, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any other ideas.

I recently got some weird results and I am trying to figure out if it is something wrong wtih the camera or just me being dumb. On some shots, I am getting these weird little ghosting effects.

Exhibit A

This could be motion blur. She is moving a bit here. But then look at:

Exhibit B. Look at the edge of the back of the couch.

I am also experiencing some focus problems in wide shots. It seems difficult to maintain focus in wide shots, except when there is a lot of light.

If all of this can be chaulked up to my inexperience, fine, I am trying to figure out if I should take the camera to be serviced ( Which I will prob do anyway for peace of mind )

No adaptors or anything just the camera out of the box. These are the settings, so the 24PA thing might be on. We were not in 24PA. Someone else said this on the other board, but I guess I do not fully understand it. Is there someplace I can read up to get the 411 on the "jutter frame?"

Settings:

Detail Level: -4

Vdetail: -4

Detail Coring: 0

Chroma Level: 0

Chroma Phase: 0

Color Temp: 0

Master Ped: 0

A. Iris Level: +2

Gamma: Cinelike_v

Knee: Auto

Matrix: Cine-Like

Skin Tone Detail: ON

VDetail Freq: MID

Progressive: 24P

If you misplaced your manual, you can get the pdf here: DVX Product Page Check page 63.

There are two 24p modes that the dvx is capable of recording, one which records a 2:3:3:2 (Adv) and one that records a regular 2:3 pattern. Most decks and editing suites are able to record either pattern from the tape. However, if you tell it to capture one or the other and that's not what you recorded, then you're in for another batch of capturing.

This is all speculation of course, I don't know what your problem is. I would sugguest learning about your equipment first. If you don't know what a 2:3 pulldown pattern is, I would sugguest not shooting in 24p at all.