Nizo 3056 Questions

Ernie Zahn

Hi, my primary question is using the manual exposure. I've never used manual for any Super 8 camera because before this I've always used Canon's in the XL series which seems to have flawless auto exposure, so I've never had a need to use manual. Anyway, the Nizo sems to have a much more sesitive auto exposure making manual my only choice, can anyone help or explain how I use this to calcualte on the light meter?

• Premium Member

Zooming into various parts of the set you are going to use and taking a set of readings can be very helpful in determing the exposure you will settle on. My feeling is decide what is the most important item in the scene that needs correct exposure and set your f-stop accordingly and let everything else fall where it may.

In time you will become more selective in your framing and perhaps more aggressive in controlling the rest of the scene, but always start out with perfect exposure on the part of the scene that matters most to you.

In theory, by zooming into the most important part of the frame and taking a reading, you will be close to a correct setting, just keep in mind that the camera is using 18% percent gray to determine the correct exposure. So if you zoom into a white object, the camera will underexpose by 1-2 stops, if you zoom into darker colors, the camera may overexpose by 1-2 stops.

Using your autometer as a guide, you decide on the final f-stop adjustment, then you LOCK the f-stop by switching to manual exposure.