Down by law

F Bulgarelli

I was just watching the film "Down by law" shot by Robby Muller.

I was fascinated by the overall photography and the fact that those night exteriors didn't look that grainy to me. Perhaps is the transfer but it looks realy nice.

Does anyone have any info on how he shot this film?

any info will be greatly appreciated.

Francisco

No it's not just the transfer, it looked very good indeed in 35mm.

Robby Muller really knows how to shoot B&W, DuArt (?) really knew how to process and print it. (and I suspect Robby Muller knows how to get the best out of a lab).

-Sam

• Premium Member

He also shot the fearsomly underrated Friedkin film To Live And Die In LA - check it out.

I'm not von Triers biggest fan and his imposing visuals on his films doesn't make the best use of Muller but Breaking the Waves looks great in that dirty, natural, "unlit" vein.

He shot one of my favorite films: The American Friend by Wim Wenders. It's based on the same Tom Ripley character that Matt Damon plays in The Talented Mr.Ripley, just older.

There are not enough adjectives for us to smother the man who shot Dead Man...brilliant cinematographer.

I seem to remember reading that it was all shot on the lower grained Plus X stock, but I can't find where I got that information, and it seems hard to beleive with all those night scenes, but I'm gonna try to find out where it was that I read that....

-felipe.

I don't remember but you could be right. I'm reasonably sure it was Plus-X for day.

-Sam