FYI: Panasonic NAB special event

Peter J DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member

Just an FYI for folks planning to attend NAB (I won't be there this year, regrets):

Apparently, Panasonic will have a private room off the show floor where they'll discuss & demonstrate their new small P2-based DVCPROHD "palmcorder".

Though they might also show it to the mob in the Panasonic expo booth, there might be a somewhat smaller mob at the private showing. ;-)

For more information, and a link to REGISTER for this event, refer to:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=23690

If you go, please report back hear with your impressions! Thanks.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

• 3 weeks later...

From a blog at the Apple event: http://www.philafcpug.org/mt/archives/001175.html

This info:

Panasonic

Support for P2

John Baisley, president Panasonic Broadcast & Television.

AG-HVX 200

DV DVCpro, DVCpro 50, DVCPRO HD

480i, 1080i, 1080p 24, 720p 60/24

Variable frame rates in 720p

3 chip 1/3" 16:9 native CCDS

P2 Memory and DV tape recording

FireWire AVC and SBP2

The P2 Memory allows varicam frame rates.

Camera that does SD and HD with no deck needed.

Price $5995.

Available Q4 2005

• Premium Member
So what're the pictures like?

Hi Phil: Unfortunately, I'm not at NAB this year. But I suspect since the new P2 handycam won't ship for several months we may not have a definitive idea of what the final shipping version's video output looks like until then?

There is intense speculation today about a feature which was "announced" yesterday -- but which hasn't been confirmed -- that this cam may be able to write directly to most any standard Firewire or USB hardrive. Of course, only a fast-enough, vibration/shock-resistant 2.5" or smaller HDD would be appropriate for run-n-gun shooting, but the possibility of not being solely dependent on a 3rd party HDD solution (such as FireStore) is very interesting. Hopefully this "feature" will be confirmed/denied soon.

Just my $0.02 USD; I could be wrong.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

• 5 months later...
Hi,

So what're the pictures like?

Phil

I quote user "NBCshooter" from DVXUSER.COM (topic link: http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=35313):

Just came back from RESfest Los Angeles and viewed HVX200-acquired playback on both a 1080i DLP projector and live images out of the camera (analog component out) on a 17" Panasonic HD LCD. No CRT playback was available. The engineering protoype camera was only capable of imaging 1080i. No "cine-gamma" or other film-like gamma settings were available. No gain settings were available. No 24P mode was available.

? Build quality/cosmetics very nice.

? Overall picture quality was excellent, and exceeded my expectations.

? Optics appeared excellent--no visible chromatic abberation whatsoever. Virtually no lens "breathing."

? Despite not having any cine-gamma modes available, the stock gamma of the 1080i signal looked very good.

? Exposure latitude, though not measured, appeared very good. Highlight compression looked natural and effective.

? Chroma noise was very slight. Much less noise than I had anticipated, although it is there. In the blues, blacks, and shadow area, there is visible noise, although, again, it's very slight. Nevertheless, the overall picture appears very, very clean. In what may be an unfair comparison, given the source footage and viewing conditions, at least in my opinion, the HVX200 looked an order of magnitude cleaner than the D-VHS playback of the JVC HD100 NYC footage shown at NAB2005.

Over at DVXUSER.COM there are tons of great threads on the camera, more than here.... Check'em out if u have time!

Also quoted from "evinsky" (Topic: http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=35201) , a member at DVXUSER.COM:

I just got back from Rez-Fest LA where Jan gave her well rehearsed and very informed presentation on the HVX and then I saw it... 1080i footage projected native to 40 feet across... Drum roll please....

Oh my God! It looks fantastic!

The first thing that struck me was the noise & dynamic range. Namely there was no noise and there were gobs of dynamic range! I would say it is at least a stop more dynamic range than the DVX in CD. Next was detail, there was plenty, definately equal to the Sony if not better for 1080i. Whatever thier chip resolution is it don't matter, this cam easily held up to theatrical projection detail. But let me get back to noise, it's so clean I almost wet myself. I'm used to the DVX where even 0db has some shadow noise, but this had none. And it rolled it's highlights off seamlessly.