Dolly Grip Questions

George Odell

I've been working with my Elemack spyder dolly (actually I have two of them) and have some questions for the pros out there.

1) What do you folks use on the steel track (Mathews or American) to eliminate any squeaks from skate-board-wheel style dolly sleds?

2) I purchased some thin 3' by 4' furniture blankets from Harbor Freight and run them end to end under each section of 8' track I lay out. I find many of my shoots are in private homes with expensive hard wood flooring. I also just starting using a product called Ram Board that comes 3' by 50' (Home Depot has it in their paint section). I lay this under the blanket for added protection. So my question is, what do you folks use as normal practice when laying out track in offices and homes?

3) On my last shoot... hardwood flooring... the audio guy picked up a creaking sound at about midway in the move. We investigated and found it was the hardwood floor moving against the sub floor. Is it standard practice to lay out (3/4"?) plywood in such cases?

Thanks for any help and or tips you folks can provide.

I like to use 8' long carpet runners. They can be purchased from a home improvement store (the blue or orange stores). They are just wider than the track. Flip them fuzzy side down and rubber side up so you can slide the runners and the track for adjustments. Place wedges (only if absolutely necessary) between track and rubber.

I've used both spray type furniture polish and silicone spray as squeak treatment. Some folks have definite opinions, but I find either to be fine. Dish soap works too in a pinch. Good luck.

I like to use 8' long carpet runners. They can be purchased from a home improvement store (the blue or orange stores). They are just wider than the track. Flip them fuzzy side down and rubber side up so you can slide the runners and the track for adjustments.

Good idea.

Use silicone - it doesn't build up like Pledge does (although Pledge works fine)

for the creaking floor, I have found that if I give the sound guy a good pair of ear plugs, it solves the problem :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...