1.8" SSD reader not recognised via USB under Windows 7

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Has anyone experienced, or better yet solved, issues with the 1.8" "RedStation" SSD reader?

I have one on review and they supplied only the Firewire 800 cable (my computer doesn't have an accessible Firewire 800 port on it).

OK, I thought, I have eSATA cables, but they didn't supply the 5V power supply.

Well, all right, I could probably rustle up a suitable 5V power supply, but the polarity isn't marked on the case, and I'm not willing to assume it's the very-nearly-universal "positive in the middle" configuration.

So, let's fall back to USB2. It's only a test. It doesn't matter if it takes awhile to download.

"Device not recognised."

Any ideas, before I bother them for the other cables that are supposed to come with this thing?

P

Torx are easy, at least the opposing um, flutes (?) are an even factor meaning you can get a flat blade in there.

Try Apples new 'pentalobe' pattern which has so far taken about 9hrs of my life working around.

Sorry to drag this off topic though... Good luck with your quandary

Edited by Chris Millar

• Premium Member

Well, all right, I could probably rustle up a suitable 5V power supply, but the polarity isn't marked on the case, and I'm not willing to assume it's the very-nearly-universal "positive in the middle" configuration.

P

Well if you blow it up, it's not the end of the world.

Wait a minute, yes is; today is Dec 21!*

In the meantime, can't you just check for continuity between the "Barrel" (Outer) connection and pin 1, 4 or 7 (Gnd)

esata.gif

*Did I mention my recent discovery that the square root of 2012 is about 44.9, which, expressed in centimetres, is very close to the most commonly accepted estimate of the "Cubit", the unit of measurement used in the Bible for Noah's ark? In other words, a square cubit is almost exactly 2012 square centimetres!

On top of these startling revelations, I actually mentioned this on Reduser and DIDN'T get banned, so, what more proof do you need?!