Down converting HD camera - SD monitor

Andre Lim

Is it ok to use SD instead of an HD monitor?

What is noticable (and not) when using the SD compared to HD?

I've been told it varies between DPs so I'm guessing it's not horrid, but they're also professionals that have been working a lot w/ the camera so they'd have a good feel of the HD capabilities where as students don't.

I plan on practicing with both monitors now most likely side by side stictly at school since we can't use the HD monitors outside of school. Since rarely any rental houses rent HD monitors seprate from the camera, if anyone knows of a rental house that rents out HD monitors seperately for a reasonable amount of price please post it on here, because some of the other students in my class are also wondering where to go for that as well.

• Premium Member

Well I guess if you can't get a HD monitor, then most probably the only thing you'll not see on your SD downconverted monitor is the same level of detail. The colors and exposure levels *should* be the same, provided you down convert from a digital HD output and not the analogue component one. If you do use the latter, you should have the output checked for correct levels. As always, make sure the monitor you are looking at is reasonably calibrated so that it is really showing what you are shooting.

Arguably you should have no issues looking at SD over HD on your shoot. Of course there is the detail difference but the more important issues of exposure, color and depth of field will be the same.

Hope that helps :D

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to still push the directors to get an HD monitor but knowing this gives me a a good back up plan. I was told the focus would be a bit blurry on an SD monitor, maybe cause less detail(?) but I can check that shooting some tests. Thx for the help. :D

• Premium Member

Hi,

> The colors and exposure levels *should* be the same

Har de fricken' har.

My experience would contradict this. I mean, you're shooting an HD image, what's the decision? You need an HD monitor! Your focus will be all over the place.

Phil

• Premium Member
You need an HD monitor! Your focus will be all over the place.

Well as they said, they can't get one. But are you saying you can't focus a camera without a HD monitor? Damn - thats why all those films are soft. And there was everyone else blaming 2K DIs! :P

• Premium Member

You can shoot HD without an HD monitor, but you're accepting a certain margin of error for color, exposure, and focus. Any good ENG shooter knows how to set up the viewfinder and basic camera controls to get a decent image, and even pull focus for himself given enough depth of field and ability to follow the action. The problem is with HD on a big screen (especially a film blowup projected ina theater), the errors in focus become plainly obvious. Color correction can always be done in post, as long as whites and blacks aren't clipped or colors aren't terribly off from what they're supposed to be.

But as Phil says, why not use one of the prime advantages of the format? I mean, if you want it to look good, you do everything you can to make sure it looks good. Take the time to set up the camera during prep when you do have access to an HD monitor, and compare your viewfinder and downconverted image to that. As least you have a frame of reference.

You should be able to at least get a 6" LCD HD monitor for rent from somewhere. That's not really big enough for critical focus, but you're at least viewing an HD image instead of a downconverted one.

I did get to practice a bit w/ the SD monitor but I haven't done side by side comparisons yet. I talked to the producer and director and the budget is about $5k.

We're supposed to start on a tuesday and end on saturday but I told them that it'd be best if we start weds and end sunday so we can get an extra day with the prime lenses.

I'm trying to find the best way to cut some costs so we could afford both HD monitor and prime lenses. I'm hoping whatever rental house i go to gives us a good deal. I'm going by prices by Brins and Sawyer, cause theirs seems the cheapest of the ones i've looked in to.

Edited by Andre Lim