Can someone please help me replicate a similar effect from these commercials?

Meahri Kim

Hi all,

I'm wondering what I would need to do (video editing, lens type, camera settings etc.) to get a similar look as these Korean commercial films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ee9HZWSjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypv-eSNyTwo

I really like the "soft look" (there aren't really any rough edges) these commercials give, and would like to know how to replicate a similar effect with my Pentax KX. If anyone could give me some advice and lead me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Edited by mma

• Premium Member

This forum requires the use of real names - please go to the user control panel and update yours.

The light is generally rather different in the two videos you've posted, except that they're both reasonably soft. The first one is a more everyday, almost three-point (but not quite) sort of set up. The second is an absolutely off-the-shelf beauty treatment with very soft and flat front light designed to minimise contrast in the model's skin.

In both cases it can be done with nothing more than some big diffusion panels (or bounce boards, which may just mean sheets of white polystyrene insulating foam used as a reflector). Fluorescent lights can, in concert, be used to do similar things.

But change your name!

This forum requires the use of real names - please go to the user control panel and update yours.

The light is generally rather different in the two videos you've posted, except that they're both reasonably soft. The first one is a more everyday, almost three-point (but not quite) sort of set up. The second is an absolutely off-the-shelf beauty treatment with very soft and flat front light designed to minimise contrast in the model's skin.

In both cases it can be done with nothing more than some big diffusion panels (or bounce boards, which may just mean sheets of white polystyrene insulating foam used as a reflector). Fluorescent lights can, in concert, be used to do similar things.

But change your name!

Changed! Sorry about that. I guess it's a bad habit.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I've got some polystyrene foam lying around the house and am planning to experiment with those later. Do you think I could get away with using those bounce boards to get similar lighting from this video?

I really like that the room is really bright and filled with light, yet it looks natural on the model. Every time I use sunlight in a room, I get unnatural overexposure from the window and on the people inside. Do you know how I could get more even lighting like the video posted? Thanks again Phil!

They also look like fast lenses too. Lots of light being fathered there.

I just ordered a Pentax M 50mm 1:1.7 lens so hopefully that does the trick. Thanks!