Beaulieu 4008 charging issues

Matthew Southworth

I've got a couple of Beaulieu 4008 cameras and I'm having some trouble with the batteries charging.

I have some new batteries (I was promised they were indeed new, at least), but somehow they aren't charging. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just dealing with crappy batteries or what. Last night I charged both cameras with both batteries, and this morning one of them ran fine--for about 30 seconds. The other one didn't run at all. Since these cameras and batteries came from different people, I have to assume I'm not being lied to by everyone and that I'm somehow charging them incorrectly.

Can you help me? Here's my process:

--put camera on "Test" (now that I think about it, could that be the problem right there? Should it be on Manual?)

--little button in back is just partially out, like it would be at rest when shooting (not depressed in when actually shooting, but like it might be in between shots)

--plug charger into camera jack

--plug charger into wall

--leave 3 hours or more (i left these last ones in all night)

Help!

Hi Matthew,

do not set the camera to the "Test" position as this will continiously take power from the batterie.

3 hours of charging time is not enough anyway, you should charge at least for 12 hours with the standard charger for the 4008 (30mA), may be even more depending on the size of your batterie.

After charging you should set the cam to "TEST", then push the rear button (=MAINS ON) and look into the viewfinder. The aperture needle should show up at least in a horizontal position,the manual indicates that it should be even higher.

Do you have new batteries or recelled ones, used or new, from ebay ?

If you use more recent batterie types like the newer Ni-Mh or Li-Ion batteries (I think you do not use the old Ni-Cd batteries?) then you will find better chargers in electronic shops. The original charger for the 4008 was made for Ni-Cd batteries although I still use this charger since years for my Ni-Mh batterie without any problems. Guys here should give recommendations to that Ni-Mh or Li-Ion issue, I am not an expert in this.

Best regards and much success,

Reinhard

Thank you, Reinhard--they are recelled. One is double-size--in other words, it's silver and about the size of two of the normal black Tolexed batteries stacked together.

I AM using the old Beaulieu chargers; I wonder if that might be the problem? Any advice on what more appropriate charger might do the trick are sincerely appreciated.

I figure it MUST be something like that, since it doesn't make sense that BOTH cameras and both batteries would not work consistently.

Thanks for your help!

I hope you are correct ...

My old original 30mA charger is feeding a quite new Ni-Mh1000mAh batterie from Wittner and it works fine ...

It is written that this batterie 1000 mAh must charge for 36h with the old charger 30mA.

With a charger 100mA it would reduce the time to "only" 12h

I have heard of better chargers for these type of batteries but can not advise in this matter.

Anyway your actual batteries should give at least some good power after a full day of charging. I sometimes plug in the charger in the evening and take it off the next evening. But 30 seconds running time after 3 hours do not sound sooo bad for that one batterie providing the batterie was really empty.

Please note one very (!!!) important point: I don't know your experience but as you know these cameras are more than 30 years old. If they have never been cleaned or lubricated they run "dry" which causes high internal resistance and wear.

So please take that into account: it makes much more fun to run a well cleaned and lubricated 4008.

A complete and professional maintenance with the appropriate (!) lubrication oil will cost about USD200,- which you will never regret.

So it is not always only the batterie if you have problems, low running times may also be caused by a dry drive.

I have an old 4008 ZM which runs about 25% of the time which a lubricated 4008ZM4 is giving to me ! Like you i have several 4008 and I am a great fan of these models. Buit they need some care !

Much success !

Reinhard

Hi!

Yes, that may be a big part of it; I've just checked both batteries with a voltmeter and they seem to be charged after all. Hmph. So it may be a cleaning/lubing issue...which is a drag, since it's so costly. I have an old corroded 2008 that I've just taken apart to have a look inside; makes me wonder if I could do some of the cleaning and lubing myself. I have read a bit about it but have no experience with it, so it's a concern. But with the busted 2008 as a workshop, perhaps I could learn to do so.

Anyone on this board cleaned/lubed their own 4008?

• Premium Member

Björn Andersson in Sweden is the man for all your Beaulieu needs.

He can make your camera run better than new. I've sent two 4008s, a 2 and a Jubilee edition to him and he cleaned up the inside, calibrated the lenses and made both run like new. He has the parts which is a big deal. Not inexpensive but completely worth it to know your camera will be in perfect shape when you get it back.

I sent mine from the U.S. and it was a pain with customs but I'm glad I did.

Hopefully he won't mind me posting his email:

info@beaulieu-service.com

If that doesn't work then PM me and I'll give you another email address.

• Premium Member

Can you tell what he repaired and the costs ?Just to have an idea ...

I had several done at the same time so I can't say for sure; plus it entirely depends on the camera and what might need to be replaced inside. I would expect about 250 euros to start. Remember that it is VERY specialized work these days and he's probably the best for this camera. You will have a perfectly working camera and he warrantees his work completely. These are great cameras and worth that amount and more to have back at the top of their game. Get it done while you can because these experts and parts won't be there forever.