The small hi-end zooms comparison

Hello everybody!

I'm shooting a commercial and need to pick one of the three 15-40/45 zooma available. Does anybody have any experience with either one of theese?

The current Arri Alura/Fujinon Lightweight zoom 15,5 - 45mm

The older Arri/Zeiss LWZ-1 15,5-45mm

Angenieux Optimo Zoom 15-40mm

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The only one of these I've used is the Optimo - that being said I've used it a lot (3 seasons, 3 movies) and it's pretty reliable/sturdy.

Softer then a prime of course, little cooler then a Cooke S4. Definitely a little vignetting on the wider end (if you play with the iris between 4 and 2.6 you can see that only the center of the frame gets brighter) Of course I do kind of like a little vignetting although that's easy to add in post.

All of that is pretty much what you would expect from a lightweight zoom. I would prefer to use other lenses if I could but if you need a zoom you can hand hold or to put on a 3d rig it's a good choice.

Thanks Mathew!

Yeah I would definitely use other lenses too, but we're shooting everything handheld on the wide-side with a tight schedule (surprise) :)

Can't belive how little comparison-info there is on these lenses, you would think somebody on the internet would have compared them by now. Maybe I'll have to do a proper test...

Thanks Mathew!

Yeah I would definitely use other lenses too, but we're shooting everything handheld on the wide-side with a tight schedule (surprise) :)

Can't belive how little comparison-info there is on these lenses, you would think somebody on the internet would have compared them by now. Maybe I'll have to do a proper test...

WOuld be great to see some proper test comparing those. Would you share?

Thanks!