New to cinematography - best SLR

Hello, I'm currently a film student - I had about 1k to pick an SLR camera to shoot as a novice filmmaker. I was thinking about the Rebel t4i to begin shooting a few short films that I have written. Also, what are the best affordable lenses to get for shooting short narrative films?

So far I wanted to invest in an affordable 50mm Prime lens and a tripod. But what other lenses should I consider for the best cinematic look?

Thank you.

• Premium Member

Were it me, I'd look into the GH line from Panasonic as with adapters you can use pretty much any lens. Also, they are hackable in order to increase recording bitrates. However, 1K isn't exactly going to give you a fully rounded camera package. have you considered just renting for the now from someplace like borrowlenses or lenrental.com? Probably save yourself some cash-- and/or find a DoP who already has a package and rent them/it out.

Were it me, I'd look into the GH line from Panasonic as with adapters you can use pretty much any lens. Also, they are hackable in order to increase recording bitrates. However, 1K isn't exactly going to give you a fully rounded camera package. have you considered just renting for the now from someplace like borrowlenses or lenrental.com? Probably save yourself some cash-- and/or find a DoP who already has a package and rent them/it out.

I wasn't looking for a full package with 1k, I just wanted to spend 1k for the SLR body. The rest of the equipment I will buy separately. I wouldn't want to use a camcorder to shoot any narrative material!