Shinny Happy People

I am currently working on a short film, and have had discussions with the director about the look of the piece and we really want one character to have an almost plastic skin tone. Best examples I have found from my research are, Steven Meisel's "The Good Life" a photo series for Vogue, Those crazy Duracel comercials, and Joe the gigilo from A.I. I really don't want to go as far as the duracel comercials, and the only idea i have had is to use vasoline on the faces, specifically on the highlights. I am wondering if anyone nows a better way, or has done this already and could share some of their techniques.

• Premium Member
I am currently working on a short film, and have had discussions with the director about the look of the piece and we really want one character to have an almost plastic skin tone.  Best examples I have found from my research are, Steven Meisel's "The Good Life" a photo series for Vogue, Those crazy Duracel comercials, and Joe the gigilo from A.I.  I really don't want to go as far as the duracel comercials, and the only idea i have had is to use vasoline on the faces, specifically on the highlights. I am wondering if anyone nows a better way, or has done this already and could share some of their techniques.

Perhaps a really heavy stick-type makeup "concealer" that covers pores? Don't shade the coloring and leave it shiny.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I find that a fairly heavy application of digital diffusion can make skintones look plasticky, but that's something that will also affect your entire look as well, so apply with caution.

One trick that was used in AI and a couple of other movies was to airbrush in an artifically-sharp hairline. This is a fairly advanced trick, but you could conceivably hire someone to do it. These photos demonstrate the effect:

http://www.themakeupgallery.info/fantasy/robot/gadget.htm

Phil

This isn't a cinematographic or lighting technique, but there's an After Effects plug-in from Tinderbox called Silk that does this to good effect. Might have to draw some loose masks around your subjects, cuz it will affect the background as well. i'd probably consult a makeup artist first.

Guest fstop

My final year project at uni was a portrait of a female model posing mannequin in mannequin like positions with a mannequin- I found that:

*modern mannequins are actually facially airbrush shaded to emmulate the look of hard light (they are all stick insect with size 6 waists these days and therefore have angular cheekbones)- make sure you have a hard North light.

*get yourself a stick thin model for those reasons stated above!

*lip gloss is CRUCIAL- nothing sells it better- make sure your northlight is reflected in the light, if not get a smaller unit and diffuse some bounce onto it- the paint used for the lipstick is really quite reflective.

*skin tones must be pale- no blue in the skin, so don't use 85s or CTBs- shoot uncorrected or through bleached muslin to keep a cream colour temperature. Make sure that if you DO want blue in that you manufacture it entirely with the base chosen for the subjects skin- the more you paint on, the more it sells the image of you photographing pre-coloured plastic.

*IF you use kickers, make sure they are SOFT and delicate- those plastic heads are so shaded you won't get reflections.

*airbrush your models eyes and play to the "panda effect" with the northlight.

ALSO- look at Man Ray's work!

GOOD LUCK!