favourite stock

Dear Friends,

I found many DPs where members in this website and it is a healthy advantage to the students like me and others in this site. This advantage makes us to learn a lot theoritical and practical application in their spots. You all where real teachers.

From this we are eager to learn about your favourite stock which you always prefer to work with it when ever you need it. Tell us about the great advantage of that particular stock and why you prefer to use that offen? I think there must be a particular favourite stock to each and every DP

L.K.Keerthibasu

Tough one, since the purposes of each stock is somewhat different from the others, it's better to think of each stock in terms of what it gives you to create with. An analogy, however inaccurate, might be asking a painter which is his favorite color. They each have a purpose. For instance you couldn't compare a fast stock versus a slow stock in an aesthetic quantification, although that element is there. The choice is how you would personally apply each one for the given purpose. It's more about predicting results using stock as one of the factors along with light, process, optics etc. (I hope this makes sense.)

Edited by Leon Rodriguez

• Premium Member

There are some great DP's who don't like to make the stock the variable factor, preferring to work with one or two stocks regularly that they know they can trust and getting the look through other means (lighting, filters, processing, etc.) Many DP's are using 5218 almost exclusively for example. Someone like Storaro has been using mostly the 200 ASA stocks whenever he can, only using 500 ASA when he needs the extra speed.

I can understand that attitude -- I'd probably try and use a 200 ASA stock for everything should I be forced to only work with one stock in general -- but I like playing around too much to stick to one approach.

There are some great DP's who don't like to make the stock the variable factor, preferring to work with one or two stocks regularly that they know they can trust and getting the look through other means (lighting, filters, processing, etc.)  Many DP's are using 5218 almost exclusively for example.  Someone like Storaro has been using mostly the 200 ASA stocks whenever he can, only using 500 ASA when he needs the extra speed.

I can understand that attitude -- I'd probably try and use a 200 ASA stock for everything should I be forced to only work with one stock in general -- but I like playing around too much to stick to one approach.

I have heard that some DPs always go for one particular stock because they have experinced with that stock and very easy for them to bring their desired look for a particular movie. It takes much experience to study completely about one particular stock I think.

L.K.Keerthibasu

• Premium Member

Kodak has come a long way in the last 25 years, when it offered only one color negative film. Today, cinematographers have a wide variety of films and "looks" to choose from, yet as David mentions, some prefer to use only one or two films and change the "look" with lighting, filtration, or in post-production:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...0.1.4.4.4&lc=en

• Premium Member

What amazes me is that everyone seems to shoot on 500ASA film. Do they like hanging 19 ND's in front of the lens on their daylight westerns?

I can't recall when I last read an article in AC where 500 speed film wasn't in the mix. Sleepy Hollow, maybe..