Bolex MST Service Manual?

Marcos Andersen

Hi, i'm Marcos from Brazil!

I do a lot of black and white and slide photography and 2 years ago i sarted on super8. now i have a beautiful bolex SBM. Recently i purchased an MST motor but it's a little weird on action. Since i'm an electronic technician i'm desesperate for an service manual for this motor because here in Brazil almost all technicians are gone and the new ones dont know anything about that analog stuff.

Can somebody please help me with this manual or instructions?

my email is andersen@superig.com.br

I'll appreciate any help.

Cheers!

Marcos

In first place, i want to thank Rich Jura that sent me the schemes for the MST motor!

Please describe the problem with the motor. Perhaps, I can assist you.

Jean-Louis

Jean, my motor is apparently an old version of the MST, there's no clapper light on the motor itself, just the socket, the printed circuit board contains less parts (not even the trim pots) than the schematic Rich sent to me but the pc boart has the tracks and places for more components.. the motor besides the magnetic pulse generator (lower side of the motor, a separate piece) has 2 graffiti "brushes" on each tip (i can provide photos) and when i put the motor on the sync light doesnt light up but if i lower the physical tension on the brushes at the ends of the motor it start to light up, if i disconnect one, it becomes very bright.

Very strange animal i have here. well, i've never seen any other mst motor but i'm sure that it's an earlier version (6 pin din).

I'm very confuse...

And thinking about transforming it on a crystal sync motor using an 24 or 240 khz crystal and dividers, a hall sensor and maybe a PIC or Arduino. Does somebody have this kind of project? i abandoned this area some time ago and stayed on analogics...

Any reply will be very appreciated!

Long live bolex an long live film!

Cheers from Brazil silver gelatine guerrilla member!

Yes, I have seen this version but not the problem you describe.

Of course, if the tension of the graphite brushes is too strong, it will cause increased mechanical resistance and slow down the motor.

The majority of repairs to the MST involve disassembling the motor to clean and polish the rotor and redress the rotor brushes along with faulty switches.

JLS

Yes, I have seen this version but not the problem you describe.

Of course, if the tension of the graphite brushes is too strong, it will cause increased mechanical resistance and slow down the motor.

The majority of repairs to the MST involve disassembling the motor to clean and polish the rotor and redress the rotor brushes along with faulty switches.

JLS

Hi! the graphite brushes are not too strong, i adjusted them only to put a slightly pressure and the motor work.

The motor is working but i dont get the sync light on and by my calculations is running at 27 fps.

Do you know more about this version of motor to tell me? the modern MST makes much more sense interpreting the circuit. This model, first, i dont have the schematic, second, is too much minimalistic to my taste, seems to envolve non-electronical solutions (the graphite brushes)

Since i once in a lifetime was a electronics technician, i have the skills to build one crystal sync regulator starting from a project or circuit. Maybe with effort i can develop my own project but is been too much for my time and my severe pain (early rheumatism). Maybe someone can sell me or show me an scheme like this so i can adapt to the MST or an stepper motor perhaps.

In brazil we have criminal taxes in customs so, buying an new Tobin Motor is practically impossible (i'm a student and my income come from fixing guitars and guitar tube amps). My next project will be an 16mm frame by frame telecine unit with some hi quality HDMI camera. I have one of those super8 with an super webcam installed and works like a charm, i'm able to capture 1600x1200 video from it.

Thank you all in advance!

a hug from Brazil

Marcos

The MST is a governor controlled motor, meaning the speed adjustment is totally mechanical (a centrifugal switch).

Once you remove the tachometer assembly, at the end of the motor you will see a kind of flywheel assembly.

You should see an adjustment screw to set the gap when the switch contacts opens.

Jean-Louis

The MST is a governor controlled motor, meaning the speed adjustment is totally mechanical (a centrifugal switch).

Once you remove the tachometer assembly, at the end of the motor you will see a kind of flywheel assembly.

You should see an adjustment screw to set the gap when the switch contacts opens.

Jean-Louis

Thank you again Jean Louis! I'll check it for sure!

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Hi, People, (Mainly Jean Louis) i swere that's the last timr i will bother you... i desisted of the bolex mst motor for some years so they remained half opened chassist on my desk. in order to mount them again i need to know about the motor, what's goes were, the centrifugal connection also the motor connection. if you can help or if you have a copy of the circuitry of this m lovely machine. Please help me, i live in the second poorest area of my state so i will never be concurrency to you, just want them to funcionm, because now i have the 400" magazine. I wll appreciate immensely your good will. Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...