Quick lighting Q

M Bao

Hey guys!

My first post on this amazing forum! :)

I am planning a super short for a film competition. It might be black and white,to limit the problems of colour matching.

I have a friend with 3x150w dedo light kit ( might have a photo softbox as well dunno ),another friend with Mark 2.

Not much experience between us 3 ;p

Any advice of what else and how to use ? Practicals? Natural light?

Thanks a lot!

First you have to have an idea about what you want the lighting to look like before you can decide what lights are needed to achieve that look.

I want a low key lighting smth like noir ,with quite a bit of contrast + baklight and hair light

My main concern is that 150w dedos are too low of an output for key light/fill lights.

• Premium Member

As hard lights they are probably bright enough for a film noir on a Canon 5D Mk.2 at a high enough ASA rating, but three lamps may be a bit limiting. You may want a few fresnels like 300W and 650W as well, they will have a bit more spread.

The only reason to need even bigger lamps is either you are balancing against something bright, like daytime window, or lighting large spaces from farther away.

It takes skill to use hard lights though otherwise it can get harsh and crude, the light is unforgiving as a key if misaimed or coming at a bad angle, etc. It's not just the lights, it's the grip control over them using flags, scrims, barndoors, etc.

• 8 months later...