Ask me

Douglas Underdahl

Hi Gang

Douglas Underdahl here. I authored THE 16MM CAMERA BOOK quite a few years ago.

I'm surprised to see so much interest about the format here, but maybe I shouldn't be. With films like HURT LOCKER and THE WRESTLER and MOONRISE KINGDOM, it seems that 16 and Super 16 and maybe even Ultra 16 are still alive and kicking. Recently I did a camera CLA for Louis CK - an Arri 16S with PL mount - and he actually uses it for his show now and then!

So, I thought I'd start this thread so that you could ask me about your cameras and shooting and the format in general.

I have about 50 copies of the book left that I'm happy to sell. Just send $40 via Pay Pal to longvalley@embarqmail.com and I will send you one, via USPS to lower 48. International, add $10.

When they're gone, I'll probably do a digital download thing. Anyone have advice about setting that up? My equipment site is longvalleyequip.com

Sorry about the plugs.

Hey - thread your camera correctly (practice in the bag) do a scratch test, hair test, speed test, leak test, compare tape and eye, check your batteries, strobe your movement - and rock on!

Doug

That appears to be Amazon.com for hard goods that are shipped, which I did for about ten years with this book, but it's too time consuming as they refused to stock more than a few copies at a time. I wanted to ship them 100 copies that they could draw from, but they would take no more than two, so I had to pack and ship too many times. So I gave up.

What I'd like to do is have customers pay for a digital download - say, $5. I think that this plan benefits me and the end user better. Anyone have experience with this?

Looks like Pay Pal has something they call Digital Goods . . .