Hexolux unveils the Xum7 their revolutionary LED Fresnel light at NAB.

Hexolux will unveil the Xum7, their revolutionary LED Fresnel at NAB 2013. The Xum7 design is based on hexagons to function as a modular system packing more light into a seamless configuration. It can be connected together in teams so you can transform a small source into a large, bright source. The Xum7 is the ultimate studio and field Fresnel, boasting the highest ROI in the industry. It is designed to be the most efficient, most flexible, full spectrum, lightest weight, and coolest running light instrument ever created. It out performs other LEDs costing much more. Hexolux lights dramatically lower energy consumption. Studio utility bills are reduced which is both a cost savings and environmentally beneficial. Hexolux.com

• Premium Member

I don't want to preempt the manufacturer's response, but it's fairly normal for white LEDs to be less efficient as the colour temperature drops. A "white LED" is actually a blue LED with a yellow-emitting phosphor, so the warmer you want it to be, the more of the total output has to come from the phosphor as opposed to the diode itself. Coupling the light via the phosphor is obviously not a 100%-efficient process, so it gets less and less efficient the more yellow you want.

P

• 2 weeks later...

The Hexolux Xum7 is an instant hit at NAB, becoming the favorite product of many attendees at the show. The immediate response from both the public and the industry has been overwhelmingly exuberant. With its unique and sporty design, the Xum7 is the anchor of a modular system, breaking free from the mold of standard light design. The comments have included “best innovation, best product, best design”, “brilliant”, and “Hexolux should get best-of-show”. Others have said the Xum7 is “years ahead of its time” and “just way cool.”

The Hexolux system combines such innovative features as f-stop dimming, light weight, industry-leading efficiency, hand-held battery options, wireless DMX control via iPhone/ Pad, and a CRI of 98.

Hexolux has been featured in several interviews during the show. Look for Hexolux in the New Products section in the June issue of American Cinematographer. Greg Mooreland of Mooreland Lighting brought his MK350 Spectrometer to the Hexolux booth to test the Xum7 and said, “It is the best 3200k lamp I have measured here or anywhere else.”

Hexolux will announce the price of the Xum7 by April 22 on their website.

• Premium Member

You mention having a CRI of 98, which is good.

Recently, we've become more aware that CRI can in some cases be an inadequate way of assessing colorimetry, especially of discontinuous-spectrum sources such as white LEDs. The CRI assessment process was developed decades ago and uses a relatively small number of samples, many of which are relatively unsaturated.

Not to cast any sort of doubt on the quality of your product, but have you done any thinking about alternative assessment systems (such as TLCI) for colorimetry?

P

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought was : "LED Jokerbugs". Very cool! I love modular systems.

I'd love to have Chimera speedrings for these lights!

Color rendering seems pretty impressive. TLCI ratings are very encouraging and I also like that you show the spectrum's curve.

Also, having an indication of the f-stop when dimming is a great feature, it's more convenient than percentage. Why someone didn't invented this before? It's the digital scrim!

Edited by Guillaume Cottin
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...