Canon 1014 Electronic or 1014 XL-S?

Liam Miller

Hey guys

I'm in the process of deciding which camera I would like to purchase. I've narrowed my choices down to the 1014 E or the 1014 XL-S. Both are similar, but there's a significant price difference (which I'm willing to maybe pay).

Which one would you choose? I like the fact the the 1014 E has the capability of going to 54fps, but the XL-S just overall looks like a nicer camera. The whole sound recording aspect isn't very useful to me as those cartridges are no longer made, but the XL-S can be converted by Pro8 to Max 8, and have a crystal sync installed for sync sound (I'm not sure if they can mod the E - I've emailed them asking).

Pros/cons appreciated. This will be my first Super 8 camera and I want to choose the nicest model in this range.

I've owned both of those Canon models and I've kept hold of a 1014 XL-S but in all honesty the lenses on the 814s are actually a bit sharper, as is the Nikon R8 lens over the R10.

Just go for the one that suits your budget.

I'd rather use a Braun Nizo 6080 any day. ;)

The XL-S series (in my experience) has better registration/stability than the AZ or E series. Also, although not crystal-sync, the frame rate is much more stable and consistent as well. You won't get through an entire roll sync sound. But, if you are doing a 30 second scene, you'll stay in sync pretty well.

Lastly, my experience is that the XL-S series lenses are sharper than the AZ or E. However, that might also be my dependance on the split image system in the XL-S which allows you to pin-point the focus. I've found myself on many occasions looking through the viewfinder of the XL-S and thinking I'm in focus only to notice the split image not quite lined up. Time to get my eyes checked again. :)

Dave

For what its worth, I have an 814 E, and it's great! I wish I had the split circle viewfinder, but you can't have everything!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with crystal sync for super 8. Just me, but I don't think it matters that much.

Both the 1014 E and XL-S are excellent cameras. The glass is the same. I think the coatings on the XL-S are slightly different.

From personal experience I can tell you, that the E is in fact a bear to repair, should you need to repair it. I have an 814 E on my parts pile for just that reason.

The XL-S has a 220 degree shutter, and the E has a 150 degree one.

Go with the one you get a better deal on. I wanted a 1014 XL-S. They were going for $300-$350, at the time. I won an 814 E (working) off ebay for $24. I got another one for ~$35.

The E has a variable shutter too. But it's capped at 150 degrees. And not all that accurate. A 220 degree shutter in low light can be really helpful.

Usually people don't say they hate me until I show them the (working) Arri 16S/B I got with an Angenieux lens for $500! ;)

The $35 one didn't work very well. The mechanism was intact, but it had a broken battery wire, in the hinge. But the $24 one works like a champ. It has trouble holding aperture in manual (the rubber adjusting wheel is worn out), and the filter ring was dinged (luckily I had a non-working one to scavange parts from). Both were off eBay. Both were listed as "untested."

Anyone who wants Super-8 wants the top of the line. So the rarer 1014 is more in demand than the 814. Maintaining them is hard, so the AZ and XL-S are more favored than the AZE. So the 814 AZEs tend to be a bargain.

The E has a variable shutter too. But it's capped at 150 degrees. And not all that accurate. A 220 degree shutter in low light can be really helpful.

Usually people don't say they hate me until I show them the (working) Arri 16S/B I got with an Angenieux lens for $500! ;)

The $35 one didn't work very well. The mechanism was intact, but it had a broken battery wire, in the hinge. But the $24 one works like a champ. It has trouble holding aperture in manual (the rubber adjusting wheel is worn out), and the filter ring was dinged (luckily I had a non-working one to scavange parts from). Both were off eBay. Both were listed as "untested."

Anyone who wants Super-8 wants the top of the line. So the rarer 1014 is more in demand than the 814. Maintaining them is hard, so the AZ and XL-S are more favored than the AZE. So the 814 AZEs tend to be a bargain.

Yup... i officially hate you for the Arri. :) I've been watching for one of those deals to come my way for a few years now. No luck. Wanna make a few bucks and sell it for $600? :)

Nope! I'm happy with it! Trying to line up a shoot with it this summer. :D Bought a bunch of mags and built a power cable for it.

The secret was, I bought it when the Scarlets started to ship. Nobody wanted 16mm at the time.

A problem with eBay is that some people who keep reposting the same cameras, over and over again, for ridiculous prices, hoping someone will bite. The people looking to clear out their garage think those are what the camera is actually worth. "No, a 1014 XL-S isn't worth $700." "Your CP-16R isn't worth $2500." "No one in their right mind will pay $250 for a Eumig Nautica with seals in unknown condition." etc. etc.

• Upvote 1