Getting Started with 35MM

David Cunningham

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations and offers for getting started with 35mm.

I would really like to get a 2-C but they are rather expensive (for someone used to Super 8 and Bolex 16mm).

I've been recommended on the Eyemo and/or Korvos russion camera. However, they are not a lot cheaper than 2-C and I'm not sure about lens quality/availability or overall camera quality. So, recommendations welcome.

Most importantly, though, I'm hoping someone out there has a low end Arri they would like to sell at a rock bottom price to someone who really just wants to shoot some 35mm. I've thought about renting, but I feel like I would make the money back up after just a few days worth of shooting (at least for the camera itself). It'd probably still rent high quality glass, assuming you can rent it for the 2-C.

Thanks for advice, comments, offers.

Dave

If I were in your situation, I would probably hold out for a good deal on a IIC. While they're quite old at this point, there are many of them around, so finding parts and service for them shouldn't be an impossible task. You're also correct that lens choices will be better, especially if you find one that's been converted to PL mount. (Nikon mount conversions are not unheard of either, which broadens your lens options considerably.)

The Russian Konvas cameras are perfectly capable when they're in good condition, but you are limited to older Lomo lenses, which are respectable optically but I've found to be lacking in build quality. Prices on Lomos have also climbed considerably due to digital shooters wanting vintage lenses with character, so in my opinion there not even much of a good deal anymore. Maintenance on a Konvas camera could also be difficult to find, so if anything breaks you may have to purchase another camera.

I don't have any personal experience with Eyemos, but they're supposedly very simple and reliable. I think there are many out there still in use as crash cameras or for when the most compact camera is necessary. Lens selection may be an issue with Eyemos as well, though I think the largest limitation is the 100-foot loads. I'd be hesitant to get one as a primary camera for work purposes.

All of the cameras you mention are noisy in operation, even with crystal-sync motors, so shooting dialogue would be a challenge. If you're playing the waiting game for a IIC, you could also keep your eyes peeled for an older Arri BL; I've seen a few sell at rock-bottom prices comparable to that of IICs on occasion.

• Premium Member

I highly suggest looking at this camera...

http://r.ebay.com/Yq2tGC

Gary is selling off his Steve's Cine converted Arri IIc's. They have a built-in crystal motor, PL mount, video tap and regular door and a bunch of mags and cases. These cameras have been used on big motion pictures over the years and are in great shape. I bought one a year ago and have loved it. Steve is retired now so there will be no more of these made, however they are easy to work on for an experienced camera tech.

If this sells or doesn't reach the reserve, try contacting him through eBay or at doggiecam.com and he'll set you up a great deal on whatever he has left. They really are the ultimate 2C. Smaller & lighter than a three but with most of the pluses (except no registration pin).

Thanks Will!

Yeah, I was watching that one and will probably contact him directly. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, although certainly worth the money, I just don't see myself spending that kind of $$$ right now. A standard 2C in working order is probably the most I can afford... and really not even that right now.

• Premium Member

I was thinking that too... didn't want to spend over $1000. But believe me, you get what you pay for. I was putting together motors, cords and batteries for an original 2c and had all sorts of problems finding working components. I'd get a motor to work for a few days and it would die. They are great cameras but we're looking at 50 year old electronics. That's why those Steve's Cine converted ones are so great...modern motor, lens mount, speed control, the whole thing is ready to go.

You'll never need another 35mm camera...unless you want to shoot sync of course...or do special effects...