Oblivion

It would appear that they first published the concept stuff in 2010 for the comic con that year.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/12/oblivion-based-on-the-non-existing-graphic-novel/

but yeah, maybe they had been working on it since 2007 like they claim.

Maybe they were both channeling the same spirits but it does seem like even more of a remake than 28 days later and that's saying something.

When you start watching something and it seems very familiar from the start and then the whole movie pans out exactly the same as the other movie, you can only ask questions.

Also apologies to anyone reading this for who we have now completely ruined oblivion. Although if you havn't seen oblivion or moon, I suggest you see the later as it's way, way better and watching oblivion will ruin moon for you.

Freya

It also seems there is a lot of conflicting information out there. In one interview Joseph Kosinski claims he wrote the script in 2005 in another he says that he only had a treatment or overview of the movie in 2007 and couldn't get it written because of the writers strike. He then wrote the illustrated overview of the story which was released at the comic con in 2010 and then the script was written once they got the go ahead from the studio.

Seems like the story has varying versions, even from the source.

Freya

• Upvote 1

Yeah, well to be honest I thought Oblivion had a lot in common with a lot of different recent SF movies, not just Moon. I remember spotting some District 9 here and there as well.

And the plot made heavy use of the big SF tropes that have been around since the genre became popular in the 60s. I was able to predict all the major beats long before they appeared on screen. Even the score sounded familiar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA, around the 40 seconds mark).

Not really a criticism though I suppose. It's true that everything has been done before, and it's all become about how you put your own twist on old ideas. I didn't really see a twist there however.

Well yes there was a bit that seemed like an Homage to La Jette and also there was some Independance day in there too and the people underground seemed a bit Matrix-y but it seemed to lean VERY heavily on Moon most of the time. I mean it even has a forbidden zone as in Moon. It just seemed so much like the same movie only a lot less interesting.

The movie does have other deja-vu aspects tho it's true.

Freya