Look at the older Bolex movement

Richard Jura

• Premium Member

The reason they changed the claw mechanism was that troubles were encountered upon rewinding the entire film load, the Paillard-Bolex-H’s big difference to all other cameras. Instead of pushing the film upwards by the original arrangement a second claw was added by which there is more practical pull. At the same time it was found that the movement could be made with less joints, advantageous for steadiness and speed. That was in 1954 from number 100401 on.

On the other hand these trailing claws are not rigidly controlled but simply flung onto the film. Nylon pads inserted into the aperture plate, a bit recessed, give a stop to the claw tips in the direction parallel to the optical axis. The movement is simple and effective but noisy with shrunk film.

Hello Simon

I like how you termed 'flung' onto the film. Yes the current version is elegantly simple and always amazed me that it would run up to 64FPS. I always assumed they quit the older version because of it's complexity, precision and cost. I do like watching it go around reminds me of my introduction to film cameras when I assembled an Arri35 II C from a box around 74 or 75.

I have 2 of the old versions they both still work, one is cosmetically very nice the other looks like it's been on a couple of safaris and then some. Picked them both up $15 ea about 10 years apart.

Rich

• 2 years later...

Looks good

The original claw drive is not much different from the Darling claw of 1896. Darling had the pivot slot curved, Paillard’s is straight.

Had to look that one up......very interesting

Rich