New kid on the block on 37 years old family Canon 1014E

WWS

My dad gave me his 37 years old Canon 1014E recently as it looks like new, it is a family jewel. I have bought few roll of S8 but never get the chance to try it as there are questions I'm still searching. Glad I found this site! I like to shoot in manual as I want more control on my exposure but the manual got me confuse.

Here is my question:

I pull out the manual dial to set manual aperture when I set the Variable Shutter Control Ring to 4 (37.5 degree) do I need to compensate the Two stops in the aperture. Thanks everyone.

Hi. It's an excellent camera with an awesome lens. And built like a tank (except for the manual aperture knob which tends to get somewhat flimsy over the years).

But when you work with shutter speeds different from the standard, you don't have to compensate manually with such a knob: all you have to do is setting the small selector (located right, next to the speed dial) to the same number as the shutter control dial: normally it is sets at the red dot (= shutter works at its maximum exposure capability); if you choose to work with half shutter angle, then you select "2" on this small lever; finally you want to choose pos "4" when working with the smallest shutter angle. This way the camera will automatically compensate with bigger iris apertures. Of course you can always switch to manual Iris operation as well like "AE Lock" etc.

Have fun!

Thanks Maurizio just to be clear if I'm in manual mode when I pull out the aperture setting and set the pos "4". Now Aperture is manual will I have to manual compensate the shuttle angle at "4". Thanks again.

As long as the manual aperture knob is all the way into the camera and camera is working in auto mode AND you are using the smallest shutter opening angle WITH the selector set to "4", the camera will compensate automatically. If you want to avoid sudden iris aperture changes, you need to lock that knob by pulling it outward. If you ant to set a specific aperture by yourself, you can do that anyway, anytime by rotating that knob AFTER pulling it out.

Hope this helps.