Great Books on Cinematography

Guest Nathan Hernandez

Guest Nathan Hernandez

Hey, Im sure this has been posted alot of times, but cant seem to find it, but was seeing if anyone could give us a list on any really good books on cinematography, in particular ones with say Q&A's with Vittorio Storraro, Darious Khondji, Chris Doyle Etc

Guest Jeff DiMambro

Blain Brown's book is a great instructional book for getting started.

As for Q&A, I thought NEW CINEMATOGRAPHERS by Alexander Ballinger was pretty good. Not an intructional book but gives great insight into how a few of the current top dogs work.

MASTERS OF LIGHT by Schaefer and Salvato goes even more in depth on how some of the masters work. Although it seems that the sub title, Conversations With Contemporary Cinematographers, is a bit dated for me being that it was published around the time I was born. The content, however, is nothing but great material.

American Ciinematographer magazine has done pieces on most films by the DP's you mentioned.

Also "Contemporary Cinematographers on their Art" by Pauline Rogers is interesting as well for interviews.

Jeff's recommendations are good as well. I as well would love to see an update or second volume to "Masters of Light".

The book that really gave me an "awakening" was "Des Lumieres et Des Ombres" by Henri Alekan who was Cocteau's DP and worked with Wim Wenders on "Wings of Desire" which is in French (lots of photos and diagrams, though). It is like a film school in itself.