Best Wedding Cameras!

Mark Sperry

Wedding photographers! w00t! We're cool. Yeah...

Anyway I want to put together a thread that will go over the best choices for people doing Super 8 weddings. Please chime in if you can add to this.

I'll start with the two I use regularly, and what I would like:

Nikon R8 Super. Tough as nails. Has a great lens. You can over and under expose via a slider which is VERY useful. A little expensive, but worth it for the level of control. It'll pretty much read every available stock. I do often miss focus when shooting long though. It's hard to see in that little view finder. Anybody have a remedy for this? A little heavy and loud.

Pro8mm Refurbished Canon 814. Also tough, great lens. No macro, but bright and clear view finder. Pro8mm SAYS the meter has been set to read all available stocks, but the original version does not. Has anyone confirmed this? I have been hand metering with it so I can't say for sure. The trigger tends to 'jump' a little when half depressing it, and the meter doesn't catch as quickly as my Nikon R8. No ability to exposure compensate in automatic. The Pro8mm version had the T filter removed. A little heavy and loud.

Nizo 481 Macro. Sold it to pay for the Canon but I liked the camera. Great lens, dead simple operation. Accurate meter. Limited metering range though, so a handheld is a must.

What I would like: Quieter, obviously. Manual setting of ISO. Brighter, bigger finder so I stip blowing focus on tight shots. No more 1.35v cells, AAs to power the meter. Wider angle lens if possible. Any suggestions?

Can anybody write up the Nizo sound cameras as options? I see they meter a lot of different stocks and run on AAs only. How's the finder and are they quiet? Is a 220 degree shutter worth it for low light?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I look at shooting weddings as having two different approaches.

1) The professionally shot Super 8 where you try to get the best out of the format which means higher-end cameras and negative film stock.

2) Handing out multiple cheap cameras to attendees to shoot much like the idea of disposable cameras set at the tables. The Canon AF310xl is perfect for this. Crappy lens, horrible autofocus, but you will get some interesting shots that can be blended into your video or better shot Super 8. Those cameras can usually be had for $50 or less so if they are broken by drunk attendees not that big of an issue. It can really make the reception look like a great party.

• 2 weeks later...

You sold a Nizo 481 to pay for an 814?!? Why!?! That's just crazy! I can see doing that for a Leicina Special, but not an 814!

I think the only speed your 814 is missing is ISO400. If you're using Vision3 500T, it'll expose it as a 250T film, so it'll over expose by about a stop, which is fine with that film.

If you want quiet, your best bet is to build a barney. Or order one. Super 8 cameras aren't meant for snyc sound use. That said, I never find them to be all that loud, when a mic isn't present.

And a 220 degree shutter is great in low light! A 155 degree shutter is the biggest drawback of the 814 AZ and AZE.

I would certainly use the Nikon R8 still but the Braun Nizo 6080 is the quietest Super 8 camera I've ever used.

The Canon 814 XL-S has a sharp lens (almost as good as the R8) but I would also take a look at the Braun Nizo Professional and Beaulieu 4008 ZMII (which I'm slowly getting to grips with using myself).

A Nalcom FTL 1000 is probably the most adaptable Super 8 camera I've used.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

writing my first entry into this forum, I can confirm that the Nizo sound cameras are the quietest super 8 cameras in the market. And they can read every meter setting, which the cartridge system was developped for. Also exposure correction like the Nikons. Nikon´s lenses may be a little sharper.

The Beaulieu 4008 should be quiet, when being well-serviced.

I have, so to say, a small private museum with these sound models... The 6080 looks more "pro", but I find the Nizo 2056 more reliable. It has less electronic functions. Today, this turns out to be an advantage. Nizo 3056 might also be a good recommendation. These early models are still largely overseen.

But please note: all these sound cameras have a rubber belt within the motordrive. The belt system makes them so quiet. But after over 30 years, the belts may dry out and break. And the motor is underneath the circuit board. This issue should be difficult, but not impossible to fix. Two of the "museum" Nizos are still waiting for repair...

Anyway, I recently used the 2056 and Wittner 200D. The 2056 was nearly mute with this film... very nice.