3 Super-8 Labs in the San Fernando Valley

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

I hope Kodak can quickly and efficiently feed the increase in Super-8 film processing capability that has been created in the San Fernando Valley (aka the Los Angeles burbs). There are now THREE same day Super-8 film processing labs (that also do 16mm) in the San Fernando Valley and it would be a great thing if Kodak just went for it and also made Super-8 cartridges for 50 ASA negative and 100 ASA negative stock to go along with the Super-8 200 ASA negative and 500 ASA negative Super-8 stocks currently available.

If Kodak loads negative film into Super-8 cartridges, their standards and practices usually will be second to none, (other than a lapse a couple of years ago) and that is essential for keeping the film quality as optimal as possible on such a small film format as Super-8.

----------------------------------------------------

I'd like to share a marketing idea.

Kodak could give each of the three Super-8 Labs a "favored" Super-8 negative film stock status and each Super-8 lab gets an additional discount on that Super-8 film negative film stock purchase.

Lets say Yale Labs gets favored film stock status on the Super-8 100 ASA neg, Pro-8mm gets favored filmstock status on the 500 ASA neg, and Spectra gets favored filmstock status on the 200 ASA neg, now these Super-8 labs can purchase their "favored" Super-8 negative stock at an additional 20% off.

Student and Independent filmmkers that are really on a tight budget can actually save additional money by going to the lab that has favored status on a particular film stock that they intend to shoot on. Since the three labs are near each other anyway, it's not going to be a waste of gas for the frugal filmmaker.

I understand it's gimmicky, but the Super-8 labs are all so darn close to each other it would be a cool way to give each lab a "speciality" that saves customers money and gives customers a reason to bargain hunt if they desire without having to drive excessive miles to save money.

The net result is probably more film overall is purchased, processed and transferred to video.

I find it sad that Yale and Spectra aren't being fed their own supply of negative Super-8 film stocks (besides 200 and 500) from Kodak. If Kodak doesn't supply it, how can Yale or Spectra sell it? By committing to offering Super-8 processing services, both labs have stepped up to the plate and I hope Kodak ALREADY has in the works offering more negative film stocks and NOT WAIT until these companies starve themselves out because of the increased competition, without an increase in film stock supply.

The ball is in Kodak's court, no?

Will this cut into the 16mm market? Heck no. But it might encourage second and third cameras on 16mm shoots to perhaps grab hand held moments on Super-8 instead of toying with the idea of shooting Mini-dv.

Nowadays, having only one camera on any set is foolish. There are too many opportunities for behind the scenes or b-roll moments that don't necessarily require they perfectly match the primary camera.

Super-8 can easily cut into the mini-dv market because the mini-dv market is so huge that if just one percent of b-roll camera footage was shot in Super-8 instead of mini-dv it would be gigantic in terms of film sales.

Guest Ian Marks

?If Kodak doesn't supply it, how can Yale or Spectra sell it??

Exactly. Moreover, there are probably a dozen or more other labs that would clamor for it (they could be designated "Official Kodak Super 8 Providers").

The existence of three S8/16mm labs so close together should say something to Kodak about the level of interest in Super 8 negative stocks.

?If Kodak loads negative film into Super-8 cartridges, their standards and practices usually will be second to none?

Again, exactly. From what I?ve read, there are real quality control issues with respooled stock. Obviously, Kodak?s product would be better.

Isn?t the apparatus for producing the slower negative stocks in Super 8 already in place? Isn?t it a matter of commiting a ?dope roll? or two to be packaged as Super 8? I would happily buy this in ?plain wrap? form (no fancy packaging) to get the real thing, fresh from the factory.

• Premium Member

Hey John, that's GREAT to hear!

The following comment just appeared on another Super-8 forum...

"I recently shot some rolls of pro8mm 50D negative and had them processed at pro8mm but sent them to another lab (Spectra) to get them prepped and transferred. The word from Spectra is that the film is FILTHY. They say that inspection revealed blobs of rem-jet still remaining on the film and that a white powder residue had to be cleaned off.

I'm furious. I don't even want to complain to pro8mm because their arrogance will only infuriate me further. What I really want is Kodak to release either EXR 50D or Vision 2 100T for super 8. Once that happens, pro8mm will be forgetten." (comment came from another Super-8 forum)

---------------------------------

I like the idea of a level playing field when it comes to the three Super-8 labs. Instead of Yale and Spectra having to deal with Pro-8mm loaded negative stock, lets upgrade the quality and have kodak provide the film stocks.

In my opinion it would be terrific if the three labs could focus on offering good quality processing and transfering while letting the experts at Kodak supply Super-8 negative film.