Lighting question for a deep/cool look

Hi,

ive learned a lot from this forum, now i decide to ask you a question about a specific look.

Im shooting next month a short film for my final thesis project, and one of the scene in the script is in a old hunted factory house with mafias.

I really like to reach the look of the following picture from the movie salt.

Picture one : Should i light the scene with Kinos and ctb for the the shot on the top of the 3 gangsters? or its more post in the colorsession

Screen_Shot_2013_07_11_at_2_28_15_AM.jpg

Picture two: how can i reach the look in the master shot. rig kinos(day bulb) on the top and fill it with HMIs from outside, and do in the post the cool look?

Screen_Shot_2013_07_11_at_2_23_37_AM.jpg

Best

Josh

• Premium Member

Sure if you can light with daylight fixtures that would give you that cool look if the camera is set to 3200K balance. The images also have a bit of green added and are desaturated which you can do in post easily or add some green gel to the lights.

• Premium Member

Production design has a hell of a lot to do with it, as well. Light someone's white-walled bedroom like that and it'll still look feeble.

That rack case on the left side of the shot? I think it's just got a row of switched mains sockets in it, with the red neon indicators (or possibly LED, as neon may flicker). Simple it may be, but they're a crucial part of the design, as is the colour contrast with what's outside the window.