Floating Camera look

Guest Michael Cathcart

Guest Michael Cathcart

This weekend I am shooting a short for a directing project for school and am interested in attempting to do the floating camera sort of look that you see especially in close-ups. They used this quite a bit in Mean Girls and seems to be gaining popularity. Is there a simple way to do this, or is there some special device that this is done with (i.e. jib/dolly)?

Also I will have be shooting with the DVX-100 and should have a dolly on hand.

Any help is always appreciated.!.

• Premium Member

I've used a bunch of 1/4 inch surgical tubing tied to some webbing off the camera body. The tubing is then attacthed to a ubangee from a dolly. The tubing allows you to sort of bounce the camera around. "Poor man's steadicam" maybe. You have to get the right amount of tension off the tubing to give you the right look. It takes a while but again - the right Key Grip will bring this all home real quick.

good luck

FB

This weekend I am shooting a short for a directing project for school and am interested in attempting to do the floating camera sort of look that you see especially in close-ups. They used this quite a bit in Mean Girls and seems to be gaining popularity. Is there a simple way to do this, or is there some special device that this is done with (i.e. jib/dolly)?

Also I will have be shooting with the DVX-100 and should have a dolly on hand.

Any help is always appreciated.!.

If you are using a DVX-100 on a dolly - be sure to put on some extra weight to the dolly. This will give you more controll and smoother moves. If you have options, use big rubber wheels filled with air. This will get the move even smoother. Maybe there is a table with a nice set of wheels on ? Then you can put your tripod on top of it ( if the wheels are better than your dollys wheels this will be a nice poor-mans-dolly)

And of course a jib will also do the work... good luck -g