Tip on LED-lightning

Hi,

I am working with sporting events and it's my job to set the light on the commentators. A lot of times the commentators are placed in a very small area. Right now I am using two 800w red heads, but in a really small room they create a lot of heat, they are hard to fit in and they're just getting really harsh for the talents.

I think this is the ultimate situation for using LED-panels, so I suggested this to my boss, and he asked me to find some good LEDs for a good price.

I found this one: http://www.litepanels.com/hilio.php

"115W draw with output comparable to a 575W HMI output" is pretty much exactly what I need but $3,500 is a lot of money.

Please let me know if you know a good retailer for this kind of equipment or if you have any thoughts at all about using LEDs for tv production.

Keep in mind that nine out of ten shots will be with a window as background.

Best Regards

I'm much more a fan of Kino flows for situations like this. One or two Divas, call it a day .

Okey, may I ask why?

There are cheaper options out there, but how reliable are they, what kind of color are they really putting out, and how well will they hold up? That's where your trade off is.

You get what you pay for.

Of course, and this is where I'm at, trying to figure it out.

Thank you guys for the quick replys!

• Premium Member

I find they tend to look better, don't cot as much as LEDs, still run cool, are dimmable, and there is less a question of "how good," they will be. It's a known quantity. Problem with LEDs is almost all of them have a green cast which makes actors looks rather sickly. Also they many times just seem "off" in terms of how hard they are.

If you really want to go cheaply, Kino makes CFL bulbs now which you could build a batten-strip out of.

I find they tend to look better, don't cot as much as LEDs, still run cool, are dimmable, and there is less a question of "how good," they will be. It's a known quantity. Problem with LEDs is almost all of them have a green cast which makes actors looks rather sickly. Also they many times just seem "off" in terms of how hard they are.

If you really want to go cheaply, Kino makes CFL bulbs now which you could build a batten-strip out of.

I will look into that. Expect more questions on the subject!

I have been using this one: http://www.litepanels.com/1x1_bicolor.php and it actually lack of green and has more of a magenta looking light. Just a note!