DV CAMERA

Ckulakov

Dear Filmmakers,

I am a begginer and have been using cheap $200 sony digital 8 camera that did not hav mic input, whitebalance, or shutter speeds.

During this time I had been practicing, reading, learning, and researching as much as I can about filmmaking.

I have also been saving up for a much better newer camera.

It is a new $500 sony miniDV camera.

It has a 1 megapixel ccd, carl Zeiss lens, uses miniDV other that digital8 ( whis allot better in quality), features such as mic input, white balance, and shutter speeds. And obviosly exposure and focus.

Sony Camera

This isnt the best i can get but it is a much bigger step from what I had before.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY-

DO you think this has the features that are best for filmmaking or should I chose a canon?

AND do you think I could get a camera under $500 that would be better for filmmaking?

THANKS

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

You might want to consider buying a second hand 35mm SLR, that's what I did, it's a cheap and effective way of learning. (About £50 for the camera and another £50 on lenses, not sure what that is in russian currency)

I know it's only stills, but you will learn a lot more from that than from most consumer video cameras.

A lot of consumer miniDV cameras do have iris and shutter control, but it uses it in a different ways. For instance my consumer miniDV camera shows the iris setting, but all it does is give you a number from 1 to 30, you can't actually start setting T or Fstop numbers. Plus a lot of consumer cameras are boosted right up in digital gain (like using high ISO film), and not many allow you to set the amount of gain. So you're stuck with a noisey picture and theres nothing you can do about it.

If you really don't want to buy a 35mm SLR, I would recommend saving up for something like the Sony PD-150, now that's a great camera to learn on. You have manual control over everything. But then again, it is more expensive. But worth it if you are serious about becoming a DP or director.

Good luck.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
Dear Filmmakers,

I am a begginer and have been using cheap $200 sony digital 8 camera that did not hav mic input, whitebalance, or shutter speeds.

During this time I had been practicing, reading, learning, and researching as much as I can about filmmaking.

I have also been saving up for a much better newer camera.

It is a new $500 sony miniDV camera.

It has a 1 megapixel ccd, carl Zeiss lens, uses miniDV other that digital8 ( whis allot better in quality), features such as mic input, white balance, and shutter speeds. And obviosly exposure and focus.

Sony Camera

This isnt the best i can get but it is a much bigger step from what I had before.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY-

DO you think this has the features that are best for filmmaking or should I chose a canon?

AND do you think I could get a camera under $500 that would be better for filmmaking?

THANKS

Constantine M. Kulakov

Student filmmaker

russianmagic@hotmail.com

What does a new/used Krasnogorsk-3 16mm film camera cost in Russia? B)

http://www.k3camera.com/

Are you from Russia, and a student in South Carolina?

Yes as a matter of fact I am Russian. I had moved to the states six years ago and havebeen learning cinematography in South Carolina.

I do have a still film camera to learn about how film works.

But the reason I am bying a digital camera is to actually make and edit short films just to practice, composition, camera dynamics, framing, and editing.

Thank You for your advice.

I'm just begining to learn filmmaking, but I might be able to help.

I've used digital camcorders for awhile now, and if all you want to do is learn about framing, composition, and editing, then a $500 miniDV camera will do just as well as any other camera - Afterall, all that knowledge of F-Stops and T-Stops won't help much if you don't know anything about framing!

After you make a few shorts for practice, you should think about entering them into short film festivals. You can then win some money and save up for higher end equipment, whether digital or film.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> You can then win some money

Just like that, eh?

And miniDV is not, as a tape format, any better than digital8 - they both store exactly the same data. Most d8 cameras are ropey, though, for the reasons Mr. Ashley-Smith mentions.

Phil

Hi,

> You can then win some money

Just like that, eh?

Now that I think about it, sounds too easy, eh? :P

Not to mention any winnings he'd get would be somewhere between $500-$1000. I guess it would take a lot of contests and festivals to make a decent amount of money!

However, he could also submit his shorts to some of the short film websites like atomfilms.com - They pay royalties. It probably wouldn't be very much, though.

Or, if he comes up with an idea for a feature, he can use his shorts to raise money from investors and just rent equipment.

I'm definitely thinking in the realm of movie-romanticism! Hey, anything's worth a shot, right? Why not go the route of just submitting to festivals and winning money "just like that"?

• Premium Member
entering them into short film festivals. You can then win some money
It's easier to earn money through contract work like wedding videos, promos, or psa's. Don't count on making money through film festivals. Festivals tend to cost more than you'll ever get in return. They're more about exposure than profit.