Give me a hand with this accessory

Guilherme Panisson

Agreed. The bellows extension units, if the right dimension, are often used for copying images. Using the I/T selector on the body, you can change the shutter on the camera to stay open. Then control exposure in detail with that accessory shutter. Or great for stop motion. Prob a lot of work for time lapse. But it would even out the differences in available light. Although I have a bolexs with adjustable shutters and if you needed more exposure than the shutter angle provided and timing it wasnt quite accurate enough then you would need one of those accessories.

Edited by steve waschka

• Premium Member

Your first contact with macrophotography

Towards 1:1 magnification, that is the object is pictured its own size on the film, the lens extension becomes as long as the object distance. You have to move camera and lens.

Of course you focus with the iris open in order to see best through the reflex finder. Light measurement, stop down, and expose.

Sorry... my explanation reads like my 4 year old banged it out on a kindle. I meant to convey that a bolex with an adjustable shutter may not provide enough light for some single frame, long exposure situations. Forcing you to time it via a stopwatch. That may not be precision enough so maybe the accessory shutter would solve that issue as well.

But all those accessory tubes in your pic scream macro photography.

Edited by steve waschka

Guest Glenn Brady

This appears to be a shutter assembly for a copystand - like the Leitz Aristophot or Nikon Multiphot - and may not have anything to do with the Bolex.

There you go. I cant tell you how many times i got a neat piece of gear along with another purchase. And the two were completely unrelated. I used to think people may not have been truthful about their knowledge of the equipment or it wasnt actually theirs. But I eventually realized they just havent used it in so long they cant remember what was what.