2.5k HMI into 20amp Circuit

2500W / 120V = 20.83 Amps.

I've heard rumors that, if you are 100% sure there is nothing else on the circuit, you can run a 2.5K HMI off of a 20amp circuit, provided it is a modern circuit with an actual 20amp box, not a 15amp box on a 20amp circuit.

Anyone ever done this? Did you have to build your own 60amp Bates to 20amp Edison adapter, or are they rented somewhere?

Is this the worst idea in the world?

thanks for any help you can provide, I searched the forum and google, couldn't find any other info.

chuck

• Premium Member
2500W / 120V =  20.83 Amps.

I've heard rumors that, if you are 100% sure there is nothing else on the circuit, you can run a 2.5K HMI off of a 20amp circuit, provided it is a modern circuit with an actual 20amp box, not a 15amp box on a 20amp circuit.

Anyone ever done this?  Did you have to build your own 60amp Bates to 20amp Edison adapter, or are they rented somewhere?

Is this the worst idea in the world?

thanks for any help you can provide,  I searched the forum and google, couldn't find any other info.

chuck

You run the risk of the circuit breaker opening during a take, but more likely during ignition of the lamp when there is often a current surge. Do NOT bypass the breaker, or replace it with a larger one. The 12-gauge wire used for 20-amp service is not rated for more current than that, and will overheat. A 30-ampere service should use thicker 10-gauge wire.

• Premium Member

It?s probably too close for the unit to strike, as John said.

Those figures only exist on paper as they are not accounting for line loss and temperature, which in cases cutting it as close as this one is will be a factor.

For example, a 4k on a 6500 watt generator is so close that it will only work with tip top condition generators.

Obviously house power is more stable than a "put-put" but you are cutting real close.

Can you use a washing machine or other 30amp socket?

Or just rent a small generator.

Kevin Zanit

It?s probably too close for the unit to strike, as John said.

Those figures only exist on paper as they are not accounting for line loss and temperature, which in cases cutting it as close as this one is will be a factor.

For example, a 4k on a 6500 watt generator is so close that it will only work with tip top condition generators.

Obviously house power is more stable than a "put-put" but you are cutting real close.

Can you use a washing machine or other 30amp socket?

Or just rent a small generator.

Kevin Zanit

On the same topic (kind of) would I be able to run a couple of 2k's and 2 650w lights on house power? Obviously I would run them on separate circuits (I checked the house breaker box and they all indicate to be 20amps, the washer/dryer one is 30amps).

Thanks,

• Premium Member

Hey man,

Remember that the sockets in the wall usually have a 15 amp limit. That's part of why the breaker is rated at 20 amps. That means the breaker can cover a socket meltdown. At your power needs the dryer or stove plug-in would be a better idea. Even then, keep your load at under 4/5s available power calculations. Most of the pro's here really endorse that approach to avoid gennie noise, socket meltdown, and panel tie-in issues. If you aren't sure how to make your own cords, get a licensed electrician to make them up for you. They are definetly worth the price given their usefulness.

Good luck,

Paul

• Premium Member
thanks for all the useful info, guys.  Guess the 2.5K HMI into wall-outlet rumor is one of those urban legends.

Hi,

One of the few advantages of Europe is 230v. In the UK the standard wall plugs are 13 Amps, so it works there!

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich Switzerland

www.stephenw.com