Projection Vs. Blue Ray on a 70" Screen

John Adolfi

With the rumors of new reversal film and a new super-8 camera on the way, it got me thinking about shooting home movies again. I could easily shoot digital video. But for some reason I don't. If I did, it's not going to be one a reel in a box waiting to be pulled out and shown in the living room some friday evening with the family.

It's on a hardrive somewhere or worse, deleted. And if shown it's going to be on a 9" ipad.

What are your thoughts on the difference between a well shot super-8 film projected on a screen

vs. an excellent transfer on to a bluray and displayed on a 70" LED screen? When I was a kid, receiving a roll of processed Kodachrome and projecting it was pure magic. Is there a difference in the dynamic of projection of film vs. digital in a living room setting?

If you start with a VERY good scan your blu-ray experience can be fantastic! In fact, it's possible your blu-ray could be just slightly better than projected because of color and exposure correction. Of course, if shooting negative film with Super 8 you don't have much alternative to blu-ray.

Nothing beats an uncompressed or lossless compression 2K scan of Super 8 E100D. It's truly beautiful and on a good screen possibly better than projected!