Paperwork needed for Feature Film

Hello All,

I'm starting the journey to beginning production on a feature length film.

In the past I attempted two features that collapsed. I was doing a sort of "shooting from hip, tape is cheap, fix it in post" mentality. Yeah - no wonder they failed.

Now it's been three years, I've learned alot - especially to PLAN.

So I have my screenplay finished. What other paperwork shot I draw up? I have cast and crew list (haven't filled them, just drew them up with a few people I do know I will want working on it).

What other paperwork do I need? What will help draw investors? What should I have to hand over to my AD or LP when the time is right? What about for my DP, gaffers and sound guys?

Thanks!

The amount of paperwork required to make even a small production run might blow your mind, the amount needed for a feature is down right terrifying.

Obviously it depends on the level of production you are planning to embark on. A full fledged union feature will require truckloads of paperwork. I'm not kidding. A more independent production can probably get away with much less but there are some things you will need no matter what.

Releases, deal memos, contracts, payroll receipts, petty cash receipts, purchase orders, camera reports, scripts, breakdowns, sides, lined scripts, storyboards, schedules, production calendars, business plans, pre-lims, call sheets the list goes on and on.

My girlfriend has worked in production offices for over five years now, when it comes to paperwork she knows what it takes to run a production. She's worked as a production secretary on Contagion, Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, American Reunion and lots more. Here's some books she recommends that will help, these can all be found used for very reasonable.

The Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide (find it used, its much cheaper)

The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers (has tons of paperwork examples in it and blank templates)

Film Scheduling (old but it gives the nuts and bolts of what you need)

If you aren't sure what you need to get your production legal and legit, get a producer. Get a good producer. Tell them your plan, be professional and tell them what you need from them. Inspire them with an incredible pitch that proves you have the creative capacity to deliver on the art side of things. Good producers have connections and will help you find investors who you can inspire too.

Good luck!

• Premium Member

if your main interest is Directing, just get a good producer to do the enermous paperwork, preparation and negotiations for you, it's better for both the film and yourself....

you can also learn very much from him/her and it would be easier for you to manage other projects later if you really want to produce them by yourself.

Financing a film is very much of hard work, right contacts and skill. it would be so much easier if someone else could handle this for you so you can just focus on telling the story in best possible way :)