Complete Beginner Here

Hi all, I just wanted to say hi (that's twice now). I am new to the world of filming. My camera experience is limited to one wedding film and one birthday party.

I've set myself the task of making a series of videos each about 1 minute to 3 minutes long. I've written some narration, narrated it, but now am working on getting a video to match the script. Boy, what a challenge this is. I mean, writing the script is one thing, but to go from the writing to filming on a zero budget, seems like a complex task. Mixing video with narration is not easy. I'm realising, that if we narrate things, then we don't need to film them. So, it's about getting that balance, telling the story with 2 mediums, voice and image, and not having the film constantly match what is being said, else there is a risk of overkill. At the moment this is all in my head. I don't have the skills to film it.

I have some dslr equipment, a 5d iii, some ok lenses (50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 16-35 2.8 and a cheapy 28-135 3.5-5.6), a steadicam (which I am to learn how to use), a decent budget tripod and monopod, 2 of those cheap led lights. Tempted to install magic lantern due to it's raw footage, which I hear will bring up it's own data transfer issues.

There is just so much to this. I guess my biggest challenge is to learn how to use the equipment, and just going out in the weekends and filming anything and coming out with beautiful cinematography.

I only wish there were like minded individuals living near me whom I could film with at weekends.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts from a person new to this field.

Looking fwd to making a few friends on this forum.

Edited by Amrit Sandhu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amrit :

Welcome .. I just scripted in another post http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=60941 on my own approach on learning skills (photography first before stepping to cinematography).

Looking forward for your experiments .. Good Luck.

Regards

Abhilash Nair

You need to use your full real name, it's one of the forum, not just use it as a signature.,